Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Letters in favor of closing Bang's Canyon out number those in support of keeping it open!
Please, let's get a letter from each Association supporting keeping this area open. WRITE YOUR LETTERS TODAY. Dead line is Dec.6,2000.

Let's get letters from all over the country in support of this effort. This is a short notice alert so start writing NOW!

As you may have already heard, the Grand Mesa Jeep Club has been working with the Grand Junction BLM in an attempt to open a new jeep trail in the Bangs Canyon Resource Area. The trail goes up a canyon approximately 1.2 miles. There is an existing two-track road at the bottom and the top of the canyon. The trail, when finished should be between the caliber of Scratch & Dent and Cactus Ridge.

The BLM has opened the application to build the trail for public comment. The comment period began November 1st, 2000 and ends December 6, 2000.

The Grand Mesa Jeep Club and the BLM would like your input. Some of the ideas you could address in a letter to the BLM are:
1. Proposed trail is in an area designated for development of new single and two-track trails, according to current resource management plan.
2. You may personally have jeeped in the Bang s Canyon area-(i.e.. the road to the Mica Mine and Clarks Bench, which are both closed now) and feel the loss due to the closing of jeepable areas.
3. The proposed trail is in the bottom of a usually dry canyon consisting of mostly boulders and sandstone so environmental impact would be minimal.
4. Proposed trail would be an asset to Grand Junction and the western slope by giving one more recreational opportunity to visitors in the area.
5. Grand Mesa Jeep Club has been around for nearly 40 years and has a reputation for being a group of reliable and responsible four-wheelers. With Grand Mesa Jeep Club monitoring and maintaining the trail it will be well managed.
6. Please make the Bang s Canyon Area truly multiple use and let the 4 X 4 off road enthusiast have a place to enjoy also.

Please feel free to use any, none, or all of these ideas and any you may have on the subject. Write the BLM in Grand Junction a short note in support of this trail and the Grand Mesa Jeep Club.

Remember the deadline for comment is December 6, 2000.

Mail to: Marian Atkins
[email protected]
Bureau of Land Management
Grand Junction Resource Area
2815 H Road
Grand Junction, CO 81506

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My letter follows............
I'm entirely in support of the development of the Bangs Canyon OHV trails. This sort of multiple-use development will help motorized recreation enthusiasts make legal use of their public lands. This is especially important with the trail closures we're seeing in many parts of Colorado and the nation.

Closing these trails is especially frustrating since they were inspired to replace lands that were closed -- in other words, an EXCHANGE. Closing these new trails violates that original compromise detailed in the current resource management plan. This canyon's terrain lends itself well to OHVs since the sandstone and rocks are so resistant to tires.

With good involvement from the OHV community, specifically the Grand Mesa Jeep Club, these trails will be easy to manage. This reliable and responsible group of four-wheelers will make sure the trail stays monitored and maintained.

I hope to see routes developed for all users, including hard-core 4x4 enthusiasts. Please contact me if I can at all help with my own efforts, media publication, or volunteer recruitment....

Also, if there's any opportunity for public comment or planning, I'd love to be sent the dates and locations to Randy Burleson, 7945 Amalfi Way, Fair Oaks, CA 95628

Thanks,

Randii
Randy Burleson

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Randii,
Mind if I use your letter and just change a couple things?

------------------
CAUTION

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mind if I use your letter and just change a couple things?

No, I don't mind. When it comes to land use, feel free to copy anything I write... it is for a damn good cause.

Randii

1 - 5 of 5 Posts