Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at putting a Banks Powerpack and Brake on my '01 HO Cummins.

Any testimonials out there?

I've heard that the Banks products are all great but just expensive.

Anyone have any bad feedback besides the price?

I'm also looking to keep my truck a good hauling rig so I'm not going for simply more horsepower. I want maximum torque while maintaining safe exhaust temps which sounds like what the Banks kit is suited for as compared to Diesel Dynamics stuff which raises horses but can't maintain temps safely.

Any feedback would be helpfull.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Spend some time lurking around TDR . Lots of good info there. Can't answer your questions first hand since I have one of the "old school" trucks which involves much different methods of power upgrades.

The general opinion at TDR seems to be that the Banks stuff is OK, but overpriced for the true results, as you mentioned.

Remember to get a pyrometer installed before you turn up the power.;)

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Banks stuff is overpriced and does not give you the performance. Check out TDR for more info.

Also, don't buy into the Bank's bullsh!t about their products not voiding your warranty. Totallly false since you have to sue the manufacturer to get your money back if warranty is denied.

I don't have any banks CRAP on my truck it runs great and plenty of power.

Charles

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I checked around as best I could and could not find really negative feedback regarding the Banks upgrades other than cost. Since I'm not going for maximum HP but want sustained torque gains for hauling it sounds like Banks still has the best package going. So I did it. I ordered a Powerpack with a Brake. I'll let you know the results when I get it all installed.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The only reason the Banks stuff doesn't raise EGTs by much is because it's not doing as much as some of the others. All of the boxes other than the Edge EZ and VanAaken work in basically the same way. They all splice into one of the wires on the injection pump which I'm not a fan of. If I wanted one of these boxes for your scenario the TST powermax 3 is nice because it monitors EGTs and lowers the power level when it gets hot. So you can set it on a high power level but still be safe.

Diesel Dynamics primarily uses modified injectors to achieve power gains which in your case with a HO is the better way to go. It's been found that the HO motors do not respond well to the boxes due to a limitation in the pump. They respond much better to injectors. I'm using their stage 2 injectors and an Edge EZ along with a HX40 turbo, huge air filter and full 4" exhaust and don't have to worry about EGTs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I did it. I ordered a Powerpack with a Brake. I'll let you know the results when I get it all installed.
I know a guy with one sitting on the shelf in his garage. He dyno'd at only 250rwhp, and stock would be around 195-205. Granted, he has an auto which doesn't come with the HO motor but it only got him about 50hp for $2k. On the flip side, I spent about $2500 for a South Bend clutch, DD injectors, Edge Comp box, AFE intake, and 4" exhaust. I ended up with 435rwhp, and I tow a 24' gooseneck trailer with no EGT problems. I can't tow at full power, but that's why the adjustability of the Edge box is nice. When I'm towing or just cruising, it's turned down low. When I want to play I turn that sucker up and I've got a 7000lb hotrod. It's your money, but if it was me here is what I would do:

Pyrometer, boost, and fuel pressure gauges
4" exhaust
AFE or Scotty Air intake
Edge EZ fuel & timing box
Bosch RV275 or DD Stage I injectors
A Piers Diesel Research modified stock turbo
Exhaust brake (any of them are good, just depends how much
you want to spend)

Might want to check these guys out... A little variety never hurt anybody

BD Power
Edge Products
Diesel Dynamics
Bully Dog
PDR Source Automotive

ps- I don't have anything to gain by steering you away from Banks. I just don't like seeing other Dodge owners get the line of garbage from Banks when much better products are out there. Knowledge=Power

1 - 6 of 6 Posts