Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with a bone stock 99. Did the waggy 44 front, taco rear. It was cool. But I never wanted to push it to hard because I never wanted to break a shaft. (It was my dd) but I've got a tow pig now, and found a deal on 60s. The new plan link the front, cut the fender wells, blah blah blah. On with the pics! :D

What it was like when I finished the first phase.

I had to take barney to a friends house to help me figure the 3 link. I had already sold the axles so I put the 60s under it to move it.

Before I took barney, I started on the rear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started to cutting the rear mount off, and got a little trigger happy.

I didnt plan to box the rear. But I might as well so I started. Dropped the gas tank and started cutting the mounts out.

After that I made the plates and got them tacked in.

Mounted the new ballistic mounts, and plated the back.

Next bump stops, and air tank. There is rubber between the tank and mounts for vibrations.

And paint

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I got the rear all done, I got barney to my buddies house and we started cutting.

Old frame

New frame

New vs Old

Mounted

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor mounts. (not done)

Front body mounts

Started cutting

We decided to leave the top part so it would be easier to mount the fenders. John (4x4Beast) bent tube and put it in side the top piece.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added tube to strengthen. I wasnt sure about it at first but i think it came out really good. Ill be adding plate with dimple dies.

Got the motor mounts welded, also finished welding the rest of the plates on the back side of the frame, plated where the top tube goes into the fender support. And got the axle under the truck.

(damn finger :shaking:)

·
Registered
924 Posts
that support bar turned out good. like how you meshed it into the firewall area. i was thinking about doing something similar with where the front of yours tied into the headlight area for added support but never though about taking it as far as you did. looking good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It came out really sweet. I was reading your build and saw that people were talking about more support there besides that one tube.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need some help, I'm in the middle of setting the axle up and I need to kn what you guys are setting the pinion angle at? It's a 79 ford hi pinion dana 60.

·
Registered
499 Posts
cause your crazy callen..haha. pretty sure anywhere from 3-7 is what most people run. i went 3 and it does great. and i got better angle on it.
hows that yota/baja racer thingermajigger commin along?!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cause your crazy callen..haha. pretty sure anywhere from 3-7 is what most people run. i went 3 and it does great. and i got better angle on it.
hows that yota/baja racer thingermajigger commin along?!
got the motor mounted the shock hoops made, and the cross support made. its going slow moving back and forth, from the taco and the race truck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

So its been awhile, but I've been busy with getting the truck back to my house. I've been working on the engine bay, my k&n intake didnt work so I messed with the stock wone and the k&n cone filter. So heres what I came up with.

The stock one after I had to cut the hell out of it to get the tube.

Had to cut the box that was conected to it for this little guy.

Welded in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MORE!

On my intake tube there was one more hose and I couldnt find anything in my junk pile and all the fittings were plastic, I found some half inch round stock that was perfect I just had to drill it out.

Welded.

Painted

And installed

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont know if every 2.7 has it but the box on the intake I removed has a mount and I'm going to try to build something that holds the intake from moving around I'll take pictures and hopefully have it done today.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So...This is what I came up with for the mount for the intake.

Then bending it.

Test fitting.

A little trimming then I clear coated it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the rubber off the k&n plate they gave me, I cut it to fit my new one and its all done. Sorry for the dark pictures.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I missed this thing previously somehow, but it looks really good? Any more progress? Any info or pics on how you set up the links?

·
Registered
877 Posts
The progress is coming along great. I really like the new inner fenders and tube work. Please keep posting up the progress.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts