Pirate 4x4 banner

Barrett is now closed

2193 Views 28 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  NOTPRETTY
FYI...(Per the Pacific Ranager Station phone person)

The FS and their increasely flawed wisdom have decided to close the Barret Lake Trail due to wet conditions. But...somehow it is still to dangerous to have a fire in a campground that doesn't have a camp host. :shaking::shaking:
1 - 9 of 29 Posts
You're right...move it??
I'll buy you lunch if that gate opens again before next year. I've never seen it reopen at this point in the year.
I called the number on that site which says...call for current conditions. I called and they said it closed Sunday evening.
While I'm quite confident it will remain closed...:D

Nope...just Scott. :p
Not sure if I'm following correctly. They waited till the rain to open it up... right? Then now that it rained it's too wet to have open, so they closed it??

Actually they don't wait "Until" the rain to open. They wait until the rain has stopped and the trail has dried up...then open. Then they close it upon the first heavy rains. I just don't think we've had enough rain to justify closing this early. I've talked to people that were on the trail this weekend and they saw no puddles...just damp soil...which is what they look for to open the trail. :confused::confused:

Fire restrictions being lifted is nice...at least they did that.
Thank you Marlon, I think I got Barrett mixed up with another trail :confused: I had it turned around.
No worries...:D

As for living with this. I understand what you are saying and I too want it protected from unnecessary damage and do want it to remain as you described it. But, I don't want to be protected from it when that is not necessary either. Each day that it is available is important with it being closed so many days of the year. I understand the FS has to make a call and go forward and that has to work within their staffing etc. But, I sure don't like losing the last three weeks of the year when it is not necessary. Conditions on the ground do not justify the closure at this point.
Did you see snow Mr Cruzilla? Probably a bit higher than you...rained heavy I bet though. Heading to Wenworth CG in about a couple hour...club thing...club new members...and no we don't do initiations. Come on up if you got nothing going. Fires are fine...too

Seriously though...have you ever seen the Barrett trail reopen after it has closed? Been running that trail for 15 years and I've never seen it reopen in one season.
After today the conditions will be much closer to wet than dry. It still remains that it could dry out and we still can see an "Indian Summer". Considering the FS stance I agree after today that they would not likely open The Trail until next year. So, I miss another year on the trail. I will make it next year.


ps Hey, I'll buy you lunch...............
Well here it is Nov 9th and the trail is bone dry...so the Indian Summer might just become reality. This Sat/Sunday there's a small front and maybe something Tuesday, but neither will have much of an impact on conditions. Doubt they'll open Barrett, but I wish they would for next weekend. We have a three day.
1 - 9 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.