Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
So is there anyone out there looking at this thread? Am I doing good or? I'd love some feedback or suggestions, still looking for a sending unit mounting ring if anyone knows of somebody other than genright (cheaper alternative). Still hoping to have it out presidents weekend, even though it's becoming more and more of a long shot.
I'm watching, but can't offer any feedback in the advice department. I'm watching to learn. Going to tackle the Ruff Stuff link kit on my CJ5 this fall. As far as I can tell you're doing a damn fine job.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Looks good. Off subject, what transmission do you have in that thing?
It has an AX-15 and I absolutely love it. It has been beat and takes everything I've thrown at it, it actually still has the factory clutch and is still strong.

This is an awesome idea!

Did you have to cut out any of the tub in the rear?
Thanks, didn't have to clearance any of the tub, rear cross member is in factory location and my bumper will bolt back on without issue. I wasn't too worried about departure angle at the bumper being that my tanks still going to be under there, even with that in mind it should still be pretty good and completely streetable.

Thanks for the compliments, glad to know I'm not doing anything too wrong. If there's anything anyone wants a close up of or more info on, just ask and I'll do my best to answer it.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I like the work on the jeep. You gonna make it to tds this year?
That's the plan, setting up rear gears and rear end should be in tonight. Gonna be tight but hopefully will pull it off.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Awesome work. Maybe I missed it but what diameter did you drill for the knurl of the 5/8" studs?
I took a 11/16 drill bit and turned it down to .670 it had a nice fit, it took 5 tons to press them in. You could also get a 43/64 drill bit, but those are pricey. The 11/16 was old and well worn so it wasn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
What's your final stretch?
Thanks for the first post, and welcome to Pirate4x4! Don't really have solid numbers on either end, but currently it's a tad shy of 101" wheelbase, when I started I was at 92". The front was pushed forward ~2.5-3" based on coil bucket location, and the rest was out back so 6 or so in the back. The front was a fight for every bit we could get, steering box is still in factory position so it wasn't helping.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So a lot has changed since my last update. Unfortunately was unable to make it out to TDS with my jeep. So I bummed the passenger seat in my dads and we headed out for Saturday night. We got a little wheeling in and watched the train wreck that notches has become, saw the Rzr go end over in and got out when a mortar firecracker went off on the ground in front of us. Wheeled back to camp, got 3 hours of sleep then went home.

last weekend we cranked out a lot of work. Gas tank and tank skid were completed. The fuse box, accessories, lights and arb compressor got re wired. The hood got the bottom 3.5" cut off. then we worked on cleaning the thing up and prepping the tank skid, hood, rear bumper, and cross-over bar for paint. Sunday we painted in the morning and cleaned up the shop as well as working on smaller, quick things that needed to be done. When the paint was dry enough to touch we installed the sending unit and assembled the tank and skid, once it was in the jeep the motivation peaked. everything began going together very quickly and it was fired before the end of the night.

Currently all it needs to be out on the street is to finish installing the hood pins which is almost done, and align it. The alignment is getting done in the backyard with a laser level, plumb line and a couple measuring tapes, along with the straight expansion joint in the shops concrete floor.

The light at the end of the tunnel is here and I cant wait to see how it handles both in the dirt and on the street.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
More pictures of it going together. A little bit of before and after on the hood.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I really wish I would have taken more pics of the tank going together. But the sending unit started as a chunk of remnants at the local supplier 7" round by 1.75 thick. Spent a lot of time on the mill table and in the lathe boring it so the sending unit fit snugly, then spent even longer to machine down the OD and cut the threads. But in the end it fits great, and should work perfectly. The tank itself is .090 5052 aluminum and holds 12 gallons, it has everything the stock tank had, just with much more clearance. On the bottom its got a 5" flat and the back 4" slopes upwards 45* to help departure angle and fuel pick up. The fuel fill is a piece of scrap 1.5" .120 wall that was laying around and fill vent was 1" solid stock I turned down in the lathe. Maybe someday I'll build another tank that maximizes every last square inch, but this one should hold plenty for the runs we do as long as I fill before we hit the trail.

The skid is 1/8th inch steel, and attaches to the rear cross member and the body mounts that used to connect the tub to the shock mount cross member that is no longer there. The tub side mounts use bushings to allow for some flex between the frame and body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Really nice work on the tank! The only suggestion would be that I would have built the skid out of thicker material. I built a custom skid for the factory tank on mine and used 3/16". The tank location on the TJ is susceptible to getting hit when you drop the back end off a ledge and I would worry about denting the skid and possibly the tank w/ only 1/8" back there. I've put a couple big dents in a stock, newer model, skid, which isn't a whole lot thinner than 1/8". With my 3/16" skid all I've managed to do is bend the brackets where it mounts to the tub slightly, the skid is dent free.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'm hoping the 1/8th will hold up. I bought a 4x10 sheet of it at the beginning of the project but don't have anything else. Dings and dents are ok, and it should hold up. It only hangs down ~3.5 inches from the rear cross member and that's only for the first 5" of tank, which is literally right off the pumpkin. The bottom surface area is significantly smaller than a stock tank and its more tucked up too. I guess time will tell, but its already made and I'm not out anything running it. So if it fails it will be remade heavier. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Love the tank work.. ya we stayed away from the notches at night.
Thanks, it's honestly a bummer about notches. The obstacle used to be decently challenging but it's gotten so filled in that a late model explorer can make it up ( yes it actually did it, 20s and low pros.) stadiums and phone booths base are much better though

41 - 60 of 63 Posts