Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do folks here think is the bare minimum for light off road travel as far as carrying equipment to get unstuck? How much rope/chain? Snatch block? Other stuff?

I've been pricing out a hi lift vs small winch. My sidekick is light only 2500 lbs and mostly what I'm likely to get stuck in is mud. According to the manufacturer a hi lift can be used horizontally like a winch but I'm not sure how practical it would be.

The problem is even if I get a super light ATV winch it still costs more than double what a hi lift + gear would cost. My sidekick has the stock plastic bumper so I would need to add a mount point and that raises the cost even more. I could also get a hand winch or come along and skip the mount.

I plan to drive cautious so hopefully I won't need anything but I feel I ought to have something just in case. What is the cheapest solution that is practical?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
3 20 foot straps and a hi lift. Another word of advise is never go alone although it’s not always possible.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Cheap easy fast....
Cheap aint easy.
Easy aint cheap.
Fast is not cheap but is easy!
How much time you got to stand in the rain with the high lift full of grit, and locked up???

·
Registered
775 Posts
Fawk being stuck for anymore time than absolutely necessary. I carry the following all the time.
One 30' strap
One 40' strap
9500lb winch w/synthetic rope
Snatch block
4 recovery shackles
Bottle jack
Hi-lift, the big fugger
Stihl chainsaw

Me or anyone I'm with is never stuck long. Usually end up saving other people more than myself.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Absolute basic minimum is a high lift, shovel, a couple lengths of chain and/or straps and some lumber.

Having said that, there are pros and cons to what you choose to pick. The high lift is relatively cheap and is useful for many different jobs, including winching. BUT! It's slow and inefficient because it will only pull continuously for about 4 ft before you have to re-rig the "winch". If you have to pull any distance with a high lift, you'll be stuck for awhile.

A hand winch or come-a-long isn't much better and could be worse. The Hi-lift at least has a longer handle which translates into more leverage. Avoid cheap come-a-longs, I've seen many of them, fold like paper on a heavy pull.

In my opinion, a winch is the best option, and worth the cost. To make it the best it can be, you will need the extra accessories to make your winching as trouble-free as possible. In other words, you can spend the night digging and pulling with the hi lift, or you can spend an hour letting the winch do it's thing.

Ed

·
Registered
289 Posts
Really depends on the style of wheelin.... if you’re gonna be in a park, no winch, no problem, plenty of folks around to help out!!!!
If you’re gonna wheelin in BFE, you have no business out there without reliable equipment, and best with other rigs as well!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,554 Posts
1. Winch. Not an ATV Winch one rated for at least twice what your vehicle weighd. Ie 8,000lb minimum.

2. Recovery kit. Strap, tree saver, chain, 2+ shackles

3. Hilift

4. Shovel.

Screw trying to get out of mud with a highlift as a winch. You can probably only go 3 feet a pull between slack and rollback.

Atv winches do not belong on full bodied vehicles. You will just burn it up.

·
Premium Member
14,262 Posts
I cary a strap or two and a large come-a-long. Been stuck probably 50 times with only this and always got out.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
The winch will pay for it's self 10 fold the first time the High Lift doesn't work out. (Or gives you a black eye)

That being said watch craigslist or whatever your local listing is and buy a used winch. Make sure it works before you buy it. Buy a High Lift as well...don't skimp on recovery gear. In the wrong situation it could be the differance between sleeping in your warm bed at the end of your trip or walking out all night.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
I cary a strap or two and a large come-a-long. Been stuck probably 50 times with only this and always got out.
x2 back in my poor days before i had a winch i always used a come a long, still keep one in the tow rig

and fawk trying to use a hi lift as a winch

·
Registered
143 Posts
Winch and the proper bumper or mount are worth every penny . Couple straps for sure, need to add a 40' to mine.

Hi lift is valuable, just not for "winching"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
The cheapest practical answer is the hi-lift, because any winch that's reliable is going to be expensive. Even used. You also need to look at where you're going and who you're going with. What equipment do they have? Winches become somewhat useless without something to anchor that cable to, so you may need to buy an anchor, also. I would say, at minimum, hi-lift, two straps, a shovel, and some lumber or even a couple of those recovery mats. Don't waste money on a cheap winch that will break the first time you use it. Buy a good one or don't buy one.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,270 Posts
I have bought a whole lot of $100-200 winches over the years off the used market.

Look on Facebook marketplace. There's almost always a Chinese winch on there for a Benjamin.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
come a long and as much strap as ya got.

Works even when the battery is dead on the rig.
Yep.

My samurai got slowly unstuck a lot of times with a come along and a highlift.

Nowadays, I have a winch, a wide selection of straps and shackles and snatch blocks, a highlift, chain, shovel, chainsaw, tire chains...and a hundred pounds of tools and spare fluids.

·
Registered
15,488 Posts
you winch snobs crack me up :laughing: ive owned and used many cheapo china winches and they work just fine

dont waste money on an expensive winch, put that money towards lockers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts