Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Popcorn is easily scraped off after wetting it. Use a pump sprayer, wait 5 minutes, and it all comes down with a single scrap from a large sheetrock knife. I did a 750 sqft room in 1hr.

Now, if it's been painted...that's another story.
really at this point who has popcorn that hasn't been painted?
it's been up there since the 80's probably.

·
Soulless ginger
886 Posts
When was the house built? Popcorn was switched from asbestos to non in '76 or so. My house was built in '76, so rather than having it tested, I lust hung new lightweight drywall over it. The loss of 5/8" of headroom is unnoticeable.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When was the house built? Popcorn was switched from asbestos to non in '76 or so. My house was built in '76, so rather than having it tested, I lust hung new lightweight drywall over it. The loss of 5/8" of headroom is unnoticeable.

As far as why, I don't have as much concern with the popcorn as I do the discoloration around the vent and the poor repair job where the previous light was.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Omg
Not gunna read 2 page's to see if....
I hope it's got 9 layers of paint on it...

Ok spray and scrape topcoat prime

·
Window Licker
14,786 Posts
that's true.

but does it suck more than scraping a popcorn ceiling?

the mess is gonna be about the same.

what if you scrape it all off and then find it's shit underneath and you end up tearing it out anyhow?
double the work and the mess.
For a small bathroom? As long is it doesn't have a dozen coats of paint on it, just spray it with water and let it sit for 5 minutes, then take a 12" taping knife and it'll scrape right off.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
You must be better mudding than me. No way in hell I am mudding/sanding the entire ceiling.
My garage was just a primer coat.

The guys that came in and painted it ended up doing a skim coat over the whole thing, didn't like the mud job.
Took them a few hours to do a 650 sq ft garage with 9ft ceiling.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
Wet it with a sprayer (or even a hose with a fine spray) and scrape it...easy-peazy. If it has been painted, often you can just knock the high spots off with a scraper, spray it with water and let it soak in through the areas you scraped, and it'll start to come away much easier.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I'm about to tear out a bathroom it has rose colored carpet. Nasty.
My brother has a 1940s farmhouse, the upstairs bathroom is carpeted.

The toilet, I have no idea how it hasn't fallen through the floor yet. First time I used it, I about threw out my back sitting on the thing, fully expected to end up downstairs on the kitchen table :eek::laughing:

21 - 37 of 37 Posts