Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Originally posted on dieselstop but let's just say there wasn't much knowledge there on this.

I live in Alaska and have killed more batteries, alternators, etc. with my truck than anybody I know for a number of reasons including it sitting for a while, subzero temps, etc.

So I went to the local auto store and bought the Schumacher SE-1-12S - 1.5 amp Battery Charger and was having problems trying to mount it under the hood of my 2001 F250 PSD as I don't have much space with everything else I have under there.

The unit comes with a 90* bracket so I placed that under the passenger side battery and the unit sits about 2" from the battery heater around the battery facing the engine fan.

It is wired to charge the primary battery which is connected to the driver's side.

I have a regular old drop cord that I cut up and wired up that plugs to the unit and it connects to the same circuit as my battery heaters (2) and block heater. It is setup so I can unplug the heaters or the charger depending on the climate/conditions and just run one or the other if needed. They all run to a marinco plug I have on my bumper.

Had most of the parts on hand and the install took less than a day.

You're welcome.:laughing:

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
I did the same thing but with a HF trickle charger. I don't have battery heaters (we don't need no shit like that in Texas!), but it is plugged together with the block heater.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Originally posted on dieselstop but let's just say there wasn't much knowledge there on this.

I live in Alaska and have killed more batteries, alternators, etc. with my truck than anybody I know for a number of reasons including it sitting for a while, subzero temps, etc.

So I went to the local auto store and bought the Schumacher SE-1-12S - 1.5 amp Battery Charger and was having problems trying to mount it under the hood of my 2001 F250 PSD as I don't have much space with everything else I have under there.

The unit comes with a 90* bracket so I placed that under the passenger side battery and the unit sits about 2" from the battery heater around the battery facing the engine fan.

It is wired to charge the primary battery which is connected to the driver's side.

I have a regular old drop cord that I cut up and wired up that plugs to the unit and it connects to the same circuit as my battery heaters (2) and block heater. It is setup so I can unplug the heaters or the charger depending on the climate/conditions and just run one or the other if needed. They all run to a marinco plug I have on my bumper.

Had most of the parts on hand and the install took less than a day.

You're welcome.:laughing:
I'm no expert, but wouldn't think a 1.5 amp charger would have much of anything left offer after overcoming the battery's internal resistance. Let us know the long term results.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'm no expert, but wouldn't think a 1.5 amp charger would have much of anything left offer after overcoming the battery's internal resistance. Let us know the long term results.
I've been using one on the red top in the buggy, and another on the red top in my car (which has a decent amount of parasitic draw from the audio system in it), and it keeps them fully topped up while they're in winter storage. Every now and then I see that they're charging when I'm out in the garage, but the 1.5amp seems like plenty to get the job done.

I also used the same one on my Dodge diesel when we went away on a trip, and it had enough ass to keep the 2 batteries in it charged..

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
My Land Cruiser has a bad habit of draining the batteries with the glow system when it is cold out if the remote start does not actually start it, with a 2A "smart" charger it will go from clicking to starting after being left on overnight.

·
Registered
39,918 Posts
I think if you start with a good battery, it's not a problem. Now, if the battery is crap to start with, you may be right. I have a little 1.5 amper that I bought from Nothern tool years ago. I rotate it between my tractor, lawn mower, and diesel truck (I have a company truck, so my personal truck doesn't get used much. About 3,000 miles in the past year. :D) about once a week. So far, I've never had any trouble out of any of them. The batteries in my work truck (2005 Excursion diesel) were crapping out, and even after a weekend on the trickle charger, I still had to jump it off to get to work on Monday.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: After a week of use I see a big difference.

Truck starts a lot faster (less cranking) and the starter seems to have more power behind it.

Temperatures have been averaging in the single digits.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Just saw this thread. We used the exact same maintainer on my dad's '99 F350 and had similar results. The only issue was longevity, the battery maintainer only lasted one season. We're not sure if that was a fluke or not but it is something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just saw this thread. We used the exact same maintainer on my dad's '99 F350 and had similar results. The only issue was longevity, the battery maintainer only lasted one season. We're not sure if that was a fluke or not but it is something to keep in mind.

That has been my only concern given the vibration and living conditions it will see (sub-zero when parked and however hot the engine bay is when driving).

Luckily I have it connected using regular plug connectors (like a drop cord) so the hardest part would be cutting and redoing all the zip ties and electrical tape. :laughing:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I also live in Alaska and have an old-school motorcycle trickle charger under the hood of my snowplow. It's wired in parallel with the block heater and has been working for a decade now without problems. I fully expected to have to replace the battery because of the infrequent use, but it has been starting like a new truck. I use the plow maybe 4 times a winter lately, so it doesn't see much use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts