Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in Land Cruiser then thought maybe general would be a better spot. Sorry for the cross post.

I built a custom battery tray to mount my battery , an Odessey 2150, under my body. It goes just above the drive line mounted between the frame rails. Now I'm wondering what happens if it gets summerged underwater or in deep snow. I see rigs fording water over the hood and no one has said anything about it shorting out the battery or frying their alternator. Any input would be helpful. There are pics of it installed on my build up page 5.

Thanks for the help, Eric

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I posted this in Land Cruiser then thought maybe general would be a better spot. Sorry for the cross post.

I built a custom battery tray to mount my battery , an Odessey 2150, under my body. It goes just above the drive line mounted between the frame rails. Now I'm wondering what happens if it gets summerged underwater or in deep snow. I see rigs fording water over the hood and no one has said anything about it shorting out the battery or frying their alternator. Any input would be helpful. There are pics of it installed on my build up page 5.

Thanks for the help, Eric
A short dip wont kill a battery, but any kind of water can mess up your alternator.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I say no under water for wet cell batterys.
But an Odessey is an AGM battery so that isn't an issue. The occasional dunking shouldn't hurt things any. It's not like your battery stays dry all the time under the hood anyway. Just pay close attention and make sure that you clean the battery and its connections after a wheeling trip...or even more ideally after you submerge it. Dielectric grease is your friend. It is of the utmost importance that you clean off the surface of the battery because water combined with minerals between the posts actually can form a path to ground, thus draining your battery. Believe it or not you can sometimes measure a voltage from goo spot to goo spot on the top of the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts