Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 22r the connectors are nasty so im changing them, the neg. was easy, but on the pos. there are two things (they look like connectors for lights, but i cant follow where they go) that hook up to the side of the pos. connector. what are these? can I just strip the wires on the two and lump them together with the main pos. cable onto the new connector? thanks

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
hey its daver said:
Its even ok to connect two if they are diff colors?

dave thows look bad if it comes back you will need to replace the whole wire. that cancer is down in the wire caseing and will work its way back.after you tack the old terminal off soak it in some bakeing soda and water for about a hour that will help eat some of the cancer away.then cote the thing in vasilean or KY jely works too:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips. i pulled out the main line and put it on the new connector, but i didnt put the two fusible links on it. not to my surprise it wont even try to turn over now. to put the two fusible links back on the pos. side do i need to get some kind of in-line fuse?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Most likely, no. A fuseable link is nothing more than a special wire designed to melt before whatever it's connected to gets damaged.

So if you connect it and everything works, you're good. If you connect it and it's still acting up, it's time to replace the fuseable links.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I got the main positive lead on the new connector, but there are still two fusible links, which won't start unless they're connected. If I was to get an inline fuse to replace the black plastic crap, what amp-rated fuse should I get? (I have no voltimeter)

·
Registered
853 Posts
You could consider cutting off the corroded connector and replacing it with connectors that will work with the new one you already have. If these are fusible links, the connector you use should carry more current than the fusible links.

The other option is to bunch a new regular wire in with the main one on the battery, the new wire has to be larger than the fusible link wire, this way the fusible link will melt before the regular wire. Then use the right size butt or sleeve type crimp connector to connect the regular wire to the fusible link wire. Double over the fusible link wire inside the crimp connector and check it by pulling on it after you crimp it. After you're done you can tape or sleeve it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
toydawg85 said:
Wow u really are from Danville arn't u.......jk

:D :D :D
I've only lived here a few years :flipoff2:

Coop: I am able to connect it to the pos. side, but I would be cutting off the black connectors and just running the wire straight there. I thought that might not have been ok, so I should have put some fuse there.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump, am I able to just cut the wires before the black plastic area and run them straight to the pos. battery post without an inline fuse?

·
Registered
24,964 Posts
hey its daver said:
Bump, am I able to just cut the wires before the black plastic area and run them straight to the pos. battery post without an inline fuse?
NO. Reread what has been posted, it's been pretty well explained.

You need those "plastic crap" things connected. Since they're bad, you must replace them. Do NOT just run the wires onto the battery post.
You might be able to find fusable links at the store, otherwise go to the dealer. A large enough fuse might work, but the links tend to be a much higher amp rating that normal fuses (which is why they didn't just use fuses from the factory :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey daver,

He is correct those are main fuseable links supplyiny power to everything but the starter itsself which is connected to the positve battery cable.
So do you need lights ,ignition alternator and horn ?

Kinda answers your question about how important they are.

You can cut back the wires and install new fuseable links with new connectors if you want ,that depends on how badly corroded the wires are .
You can get an eyelet terminal end about a 1/4 inch hole size ,cut the end of the wire off near the black connector and crimp the eyelet on and then using a universal cable end for the battery screw it on top or the side bolt will work .
Dont use an inline fuse holder ,they get to hot become weak and leave you in the damn rain snow ,wilderness at the wrong damn time always.:( Use a new link or a repair what you have with some new connectors and a new battery terminal end.
IF the battery cable is ok, check down the cable and see how bad the corrosion is if its too far down ,you can get a new cable that will have new male spades just like the old cable and just plug the links into it. Or new ones if needed.

These cables corrode alot after time and cause tons of electrical problems, my advice here is do it right ,it will last longer and piece of mind goes along way when yer wheeling in the boonies...:)

Good luck
Gary

:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts