Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had to cut out my sheet metal mounted battery tray. My battery was practically flopping around in the wind due to the amount of sheet metal that's been removed. I have some ideas but am possibly over thinking this and would like some ideas/opinions.

Here's what I'm thinking of using for the tray itself: A hunk of channel, to be cut to battery size.

Here is the space available:

Side View:

Top View:

My plans are to have a removable tray the space can be cleared of all obstructions, just in case for future work, larger alt or whatever.

I thought of a rectangular tube with a sleeve to welded on top of the frame with a tab welded to the shock tower to allow the tray assembly to be bolted in. My concerns are with side to side movement tearing apart the welds on the frame and once again having a loose battery. Would two plates on either side of the frame be sufficent to stop this movement? I don't see a good place to stop this movement and is it really a concern as I am attempting to make the battery mount better than what it was.

The battery itself would be 14" above the frame if it was to be somewhat stock height and expose the terminals for easy access. I thought of lowering the battery but that would raise the possibility of the tire hitting the tray and that just doesn't seem like a good idea. Although I could conceiveably stack two batteries in this location.

Thoughts????

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
Here's what I have BD. It is aluminum plate that I got when I worked at Genie. I had it powder coated there, so it cost me zilch, but it won't rust, is lightweight, easy to work with and cool looking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts