Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CA market sucks right now. I'm in need of a diesel, not in a hurry, but working out of my fj80 and borrowing trucks sucks. I'm looking at/ for one of the following two:

-98.5-2002 Dodge 2500/ 3500 cummins, 5 or 6 spd, 4x4, SRW, quad cab, short bed. Not too particular on interior options, no rust, small dings ok and minor interior as would be expected on an older truck. Better mileage, better engine, IMO, limited interior room

-1995-1998 Ford 250/ 350 powerstroke, 5 spd, 4x4, SRW, 4 door, short bed. Same deal as before. I am NOT a ford guy, but the true 4 doors do appeal to me. Less mileage, still a decent motor, more interior room.

Any other advice or suggestions?

I've searched CL briefly in CO, ID, CA, WA, OR, NM. I can't hit them all. I've found some I have called or will call on, but would like someone local to look at trucks before I commit to a flight out. Anyone willing to help or know of any good trucks for sale? I'm kind of setting the rockies as my boundary for the time being. For now setting the budget at $13k. I will be paying cash, not looking at or for "dealer" trucks at this time.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just curious, why no GM on your list?

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Just curious, why no GM on your list?
Because I would venture to say, based on the age of trucks he has listed, that he is trying to keep the cost down. And the only GM diesel worth buying is a DMAX, which will be a lot more $$$$ than the choices he listed.

To the OP, the dodge is a nice truck, but has some issues with wheel bearing, trac bar, and ball joints.

The ford will possible have balljoint issues, but is a decent chassis. either of those are a good pick, just depends on what feels better.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Because I would venture to say, based on the age of trucks he has listed, that he is trying to keep the cost down. And the only GM diesel worth buying is a DMAX, which will be a lot more $$$$ than the choices he listed.

To the OP, the dodge is a nice truck, but has some issues with wheel bearing, trac bar, and ball joints.

The ford will possible have balljoint issues, but is a decent chassis. either of those are a good pick, just depends on what feels better.
Bingo, I've had an '04 duramax, '04.5 cummins, '10 cummins. The dmax was a nice truck, they just seem to be out of my price range. I liked my '04.5 cummins, motor went out at 135k. I regrettably traded it in for my 2010 ram. Great truck inside and out but 12 mpg (empty) was beyond stupid with as much as I drive. I was going to sell it this spring, as the overhead was draining the profit from my business, but my wife hit a deer a few weeks back and totalled her passat. We worked the '10 into the deal on her new car just to get out from under it. Iirc my 2wd duramax, with a summit utility body averaged about 13-14 mpg. I would be concerned about injector replacement on those. My dad just had to do them (my old truck) at 113k and got boned on the warranty. My '04.5 dodge averaged 16 mpg with a lift, 35's and a lot more towing than I did with either of the other trucks. I had to put a $5k trans in at 65k though.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Expand your search if you can. Especially to rust free areas :) In this area, $13,000 will easily get you into a newer model F350 7.3... Finding a non-automatic is usually the chore no matter where you look :shaking:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2729392946.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2725518503.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2652815076.html
Thanks, I had started working south a bit last night. I was a little worried about the effects of heat in Az and southern Nv. I've never really been a fan of the super duty and want to try and keep the mileage up. I run a service business and drive just shy of 30k a year. I don't need a diesel, but still own equipment, trailers and toys that it would be nice to have if I can keep decent fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
I just went through this search about 6 months ago. Only difference is my wife wanted a crew cab....period. I ended up with another project, a '85 dodge crew with a 12v cummins swap instead of a Ford.

Regardless, I wanted a Dodge for fuel economy reasons. From my research the Dodge trucks get 3-4 mpg better than the Fords. But that's based on internet research.

If you find a truck in NM (Santa Fe area), I'd be happy to go look at it for you.

Leni

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
my stock 2010 dodge gets 12mpg also, and it's my dd and I put 25k a year on it:mad3: needs deletes bad..

I did have a 2002 dodge 2500 24v 6spd with 3.54's 4x4 ext cab short bed and I miss the shit out of it. Truck did have lots of mods like turbo, injectors etc but was a hoss and hit 50 psi on the street. I could average 80-85mph on the way to destin,fl from nashville and still have some left to drive around:grinpimp:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any duramax owners care to comment on mileage? I have a friend claiming 18-22 out of his '04 4wd. I've found a couple around $15k. The Allison is the only auto I wouldn't worry about, unless it was an ats or equivalent (basically what I had built for my 04.5)

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
I just picked up a '99 F350 cclb 4x4 6spd srw for $5900 in Phx. 2 weeks ago (I posted a pic of it in the "show us your tow rig" thread) It has 330k miles on the body/chassis, but only 180k on the engine, and it has some cool add ons such as a Gear Vendors OD unit, a big ugly ranch hand front bumper, an air tank, and a couple other small things. The paint on it sucks, but its a work truck and the interior is super clean.

I'd offer up my other '99 F250 4x4, but I've decided not to sell it because its such a good truck and Im using it to haul my big enclosed trailer to Tx. middle of the month.

The deals are out there. Look in Az. also. I've seen a few SuperDuties listed for cheap, but they seem to go quick.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Any duramax owners care to comment on mileage? I have a friend claiming 18-22 out of his '04 4wd. I've found a couple around $15k. The Allison is the only auto I wouldn't worry about, unless it was an ats or equivalent (basically what I had built for my 04.5)
No way their pulling 22mpg. I had an '03 ext cab shortbed 4x4 and the absolute best I got out of it was 20 on the highway w/ 305/75/16 tires. Around town it was a solid 18mpg when empty.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No way their pulling 22mpg. I had an '03 ext cab shortbed 4x4 and the absolute best I got out of it was 20 on the highway w/ 305/75/16 tires. Around town it was a solid 18mpg when empty.
That's not bad, I'll ask my dad to calc his next tank. I got 19 towing from jv the one drip I made with the dmax. I emptied all of the tool boxes to shed weight and kept it around 70 mph

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
That's not bad, I'll ask my dad to calc his next tank. I got 19 towing from jv the one drip I made with the dmax. I emptied all of the tool boxes to shed weight and kept it around 70 mph
Wind resistance is a huge factor when it comes to towing and mpgs. I brought home a 28ft enclosed trailer from Kingman Az a week and half ago, and while it only weighs 5500ish lbs, its almost 90" tall, so its like pulling a big brick though the air. I got right at 13mpg bringing it home running 65mph in the mountains and 70 on the freeway. This was with my 6 speed truck. My auto F250 would probably drop a mile per gallon.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You can get a Chevy for the price you are looking, you just have to be patient

My 03 Duramax CC/SB 4x4 gets 18mpg consistently. This is on edge level 4. On edge fuel economy I get 15mpg. Strange. Commuting nothing but hwy at 65mph, I can't break 18mpg. Tires are 285s. I run CAT fuel filters, Donaldson air filter, WIX oil filter, and OPTI-Lube XPD in the fuel.

Towing my 24ft trailer, Subaru and everything I owned across country I got:

12 towing Denver to Grand Junction
15 towing Grand Junction to Las Vegas
16 Las Vegas to SLO
11 SLO to Ukiah up hwy 1

These were all on edge "tow" setting using tow/haul mode on the Allison

I picked my truck up in CO, with 120k on it, LS package, lightly abused for 15k OTD.

Compared to previous 99 PStroke, EC/LB 2wd 6spd:
Chevy Rides nicer
Chevy is Quieter
Chevy has better cab, but apples to oranges since ford was extended not crew
Both held at/above speed limit on every hill needed while towing with safe EGT
Chevy feels "quicker"
Equivalent mileage (ford had TS chip)
I miss the hand-shaker - but like you said, the Allison is the one auto in your price range you shouldn't worry about
2wd is lame for my usage

When shopping for my Chevy I looked and looked for over a year for a shortbed, crew cab 7.3 6spd 4wd. Never found any that people weren't high as kites on price. During the same time I looked for ec/sb cummins 4x4 w/ 6spd, same problem. Found my Chevy, and I'm very pleased with the purchase. Keep your search range broad both geographically and brand-wise, have your money ready, and when the right one pops up, pounce on it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not to sidetrack, but I hate the edge on my truck. It is getting EFILive and the newer edge for gauges only as soon as money permits.

I know it isn't totally relevant to your topic, but I wanted to put it out the the universe.

If you want me to look at anything between Santa Rosa and Ukiah, I wouldnt mind doing that for ya.

Cheers,

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Not to sidetrack, but I hate the edge on my truck. It is getting EFILive and the newer edge for gauges only as soon as money permits.

I know it isn't totally relevant to your topic, but I wanted to put it out the the universe.

If you want me to look at anything between Santa Rosa and Ukiah, I wouldnt mind doing that for ya.

Cheers,
Well you pretty much said what I was thinking :laughing:

EFILive is about the best way to go for the Dmax.

My F350 has the Edge Juice w/ Attitude monitor, and also the Evolution Programmer. The Juice makes shit for power even on their "extreme" setting. The Evolution set on race mode actually wakes the engine up, but its jerky, has made the pedal sensitive, and just doesnt run as smooth as it should.

I cant wait for my DP Tuner chip to show up Monday.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I am pretty happy with my 97 4x4 Cummins extended cab after I swapped a leaf sprung 1979 Ford Dana 60 under it. While it doesn't have the clam shell doors, from what little I understand of CA emissions law you would be exempt. I run 37's and usually get about 15mpg per tank. 10-12 if towing and I got 19.5mpg last may on a non-interstate road trip doing 60-65mph.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not sure if it works for you, but I have noticed that including longbeds in the search really opens things up as well and brings the price down a bit. I generally despise the length of crew/long combos, but there have been a few times it would have been nice.

On the upside, if you get a longbed, you can put a toolbox in the bed and still have some bed left over for doing work!

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
'06 crew cab, dually, on 33 in mud terrains, Superchips tuner,on board computer claims 19+. I drive like a grandpa, keeping it under 2k rpm, and try to keep the turbo spooled.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts