Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
On the pump rub, looks like should be able to do the fix shown in the video and leave the case in the truck?
Here is a little write up I did on another board about my pump rub fix. My truck had about 80k miles on it and the clip was in perfect shape. Anyway...

Got the last of the known "weak" links fixed on the Chevy today. GM's are known for the infamous "pump rub," which is when the oil pump ends up rubbing a hole in the rear portion of the transfer case. It of course leaks all of the fluid out and will destroy the t-case when it does (if not caught in time). Merchant Automotive makes a kit that replaces the factory oil pump housing which a much improved version that prevents the oil pump from rubbing through the housing. I figured since I was going to have the t-case out, I might as well add the t-case brace that MA sells. The brace mounts on top of the t-case and to the rear of the Allison. The rear housing of the Allison has been known to break when the truck is used aggressively offroad, while not extremely common, it can happen.

T-case on the work bench.

The little clip that eventually breaks and where the "rub through" occurs.

The rear portion of the case removed.

MA oil pump housing on the left and stock on the right. As you can see, the stock housing is shaped like a knife while the MA is much wider and every tab is like that.

New oil pump housing assembled and ready to back in the t-case.

Got t-case back in and everything buttoned up. Good news is that everything worked, all ranges engaged and dis-engaged correctly.

Hope that helps, it really is not a hard job.

Jack

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Does the case "need" to be pulled though? Unless I'm missing something, I should be able to pull the rear cover in the truck?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I use this.

http://www.opti-lube.com/dfi.htm

I used to use their other product here when I lived in colder climates:

http://www.opti-lube.com/XPD.htm

But after talking to their customer service person, since it doesn't get cold where I live now compared to Colorado, and I don't need to add Cetane for extra performance mods, I can get away with the cheaper stuff.

I add it every tank. They give you a little bottle for in the truck, it treats up to 1500 gallons in summer ratios, so the gallon should last me a while.

Since you are looking at 02, another thing to check is the cabin air filter under the dash, I believe they only existed on 01-02, but if it hasn't been changed, it could be clogged and kill the HVAC motor, which sucks.

I really like the hood/grill on 01-02 GM trucks. Reminds me of the 69 Chevy hood for some reason, but it's probably just my imagination.

Its good to hear that you are going to leave it stock. I seldom hear that sentiment around here and in all honesty, my truck is meant to tow my jeep and haul equipment, nothing more. Money spent on tuners and other crap don't pay for themselves in mileage, let's not kid ourselves. And that is money you can sink into your wheeler. Plus, I really like the look of the stock trucks.

You get the truck? Post up pics when you do.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
Does the case "need" to be pulled though? Unless I'm missing something, I should be able to pull the rear cover in the truck?
I think it would be pretty hard to get the c-clips off of the shaft with it in the truck. The access hole is on top of the case. Someone smarter than me could maybe do it, but I wasn't.

Jack

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks guys, everything checked out at the dealer and she will be mine tomorrow afternoon. I'm a little Leary of tuners right now. If I can swing a 16mpg average, I will likely call it good. My '04.5 cummins blew out at 135k with an edge, intake and open exhaust. I'm not sure where to place the blame, but when we're talking about a $10k replacement cost, the fuel savings were a wash. I may cut the muffler out.... Here we go. There's some minor leaks to fix, but everything else is otherwise solid.
I recommend Nick at Duramaxtuner.com for Efi-Live. Great guy who really knows the truck's he works with.

http://duramaxtuner.com/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any duramax owners care to comment on mileage? I have a friend claiming 18-22 out of his '04 4wd. I've found a couple around $15k. The Allison is the only auto I wouldn't worry about, unless it was an ats or equivalent (basically what I had built for my 04.5)
I run 24-26 enpty and 20-22 loaded on my 02 Duramax.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I run 24-26 enpty and 20-22 loaded on my 02 Duramax.
Sure..... I could accomplish this too if I told the tuner I had 50" tires on....

I never thought dividing the miles on the odometer by the amount of diesel put in would be so hard...

Wilson, good luck on the truck purchase. You will really love your Gentleman's diesel.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I'm happily running 1st-gen CTDs now. More driving and less fixing. :smokin:

I would go with the 98-02 Dodge. P-pump it when you get fed up with the electronics :D

Been down the 95-97 PSD Ford path before. In hindsight, I'd rather have a turbo IDI. The F350 is gone, and trying to sell the E350 without having to spend another $2k on the engine. :shaking:

41 - 51 of 51 Posts