Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a yj lift kit for my cj, well the front shocks are bayonet mounts. I don't really know how to build a mount for this, and I can't seem to find anything universally available to purchase. Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing? Anyways, I'm looking for tips. I know the bayonet isn't as nice as an eye mount, but its what I have and I really just want to use it for now.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say - YJ shock mounts.

Seriously though - YJ guys convert to the other style mount. What kind of shocks are these that you got such a great deal on? Buy a couple cheap lift shocks for a CJ and be done with it.

How is the rest of this cheap lift kit going to fit your CJ anyways?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
couple hundred for a complete rough country kit. Yeah yeah rc, gay right? :flipoff2: Whatever. The shocks it came with are nitrogen filled, and its like over half the cost of what I paid for this to buy 2 new ones. The rest of the lift fits with fabwork and a welder. I just have no experience with the stupid rod end shocks and have no real clue on how to mount them. And I'm lengthening the wheelbase so I can't just use the stock mounts, I might be able to in the front, but doubtful. The stock cj shocks were on the spring plates, I'm welding mounts on the axles so that changes shock lengths too, in reference to using stock mounts up top.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
If you can handle the fab work to move everything around so YJ springs fit on a CJ then the shocks are no issue - just duplicate whats on a YJ. Lower mounts are on the tube and the uppers just run along the side of the frame.

FWIW you could have bought a RC kit that actually fit for the same $$$ - they practically give those crappy kits away.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can handle the fab work to move everything around so YJ springs fit on a CJ then the shocks are no issue - just duplicate whats on a YJ. Lower mounts are on the tube and the uppers just run along the side of the frame.

FWIW you could have bought a RC kit that actually fit for the same $$$ - they practically give those crappy kits away.
if I wanted a cj kit I would have bought one. The benefit of the yj kit is the wider leafs, they flex better. So far this kit seems like it will actually work decent, just need to get the front shocks on and I'll be done putting it together.

How are these pin/bayonet mounts even put together? I haven't been able to find a pic or anything. All I can find are the adatpers for the eye/loop shocks.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
And this one is a TJ - basically the same thing but a view from the side

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool thanks. Looks like a bushing below, some flat steel, then what's on top? Another bushing, then washer and nut?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yup, same as every car built before they went to struts ;)
haha, touche. Just never dealt with any shock type like this, that and I hate dealing with suspension in the first place.

So I should be able to go to a parts store and get universal shock mounting parts?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
haha, touche. Just never dealt with any shock type like this, that and I hate dealing with suspension in the first place.

So I should be able to go to a parts store and get universal shock mounting parts?
If you mean the bushings and washers, they should have come with the shocks. If you mean the frame brackets then you're going to have to either make some or cut some off another vehicle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I meant bushings. I didn't find anything, but I figured they should be somewhere. I'll double check. I've got an idea to reuse some old metal I've cut off one thing or another to make the mounts. But I needed to get an idea of what the mounting position looked like in the first place so I know how big of a hole to cut in the thing.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
I meant bushings. I didn't find anything, but I figured they should be somewhere. I'll double check. I've got an idea to reuse some old metal I've cut off one thing or another to make the mounts. But I needed to get an idea of what the mounting position looked like in the first place so I know how big of a hole to cut in the thing.
The bushings will have a raised section that fits into the frame mount - that is how big you drill the hole.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts