Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 258 has about had it and I've been looking for a good running sbc for a couple of months. I came across a smokin deal on a BBC (free) :smokin: Ive got a 83 cj7 and just completed the D60 and 14BFF full width swap a few months back so I have plenty of axle. I have a t350 and adapter to the D300. I was going to buy a set of mounts from MORE and build the crossmember. Just wanted to know what radiator to look for and what headers or exhaust manifols to run? I'm going to lose the inner fenders and build some tube fenders to help keep it cool and run an electric fan. Any help would be apppriciated. Thanx RD :D

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Keeping it cool will be your worst trouble,not because a BBC runs hot it will be a challenge to get a radiator to fit your grill and keep it cool.I would recommend a dual fans setup if you can make it fit.Headers?block huggers will give you the most options as far as fitment.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Rock ape, I was hoping to find a radiator that will work, I heard you could use one from a J20 but I'm not sure. I also saw that BTF had some good deals on aluminum. Do ya think buy removing the inner fenders and running a electric fan or two it should be OK. Thanx RD :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm almost thinking that you would need an aftermarket rad for that setup (a big ass 4 core aluminum rad) over a stock application rad. In terms of fans, take a look at the flex-a-lite 210 series. I put those on my SBC S-10 when it was running @ 210-220 deg all the time in the trails. After changing the fans my temp never goes over 195, and that's pounding on it with is really humid and hot outside.
I'd also consider getting you headers ceramic coated (inside and out), that will help in keeping most of the exhaust heat in the headers and not in the engine compartment.
Other things like either a fibreglass hood or just cutting holes in the side of the hood for heat to escape (my buddy did this on his CJ and it dropped engine temp by 10 deg, since the heat had another route to escape instead of hanging in the engine compartment).

·
Registered
466 Posts
Having the hood louvered can get a little pricey (couple hundred bucks at most) as most shops will charge you in the neighborhood of about a dollar a louver, give or take. But it certainly does do its job as far as venting the heat out. I see you are in Carson City, so I'm assuming you arent gonna be messing with a whole lot of water, so thats a plus.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm running a SBC 406 in my cj7 with a 350 turbo and dana 300, I run a 2 row aluminum radiator from Summit Racing. The standard GM style. I built the brackets myself. The rad has held up well over the last year and a half and has yet to overheat even in the 100 + degree Ks. heat. I'm also running Summit block hugger headers, they said they would not fit but they could not have fit better. Again they were cheap compared to name brand stuff. I realize you asked about BBC parts but thought I would throw my 2 cents in as 400s are prone to running hot. :cool2:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I run a ford 460 bb in my cj7. I run the factory ford radiator and an electric fan from a 1995 camaro that I shrouded to cover the entire radiator. No inner fender wells and it cools just fine. Never gets over 195* unless my fan dies, which it does fairly often (michigan mud and water)

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up the motor this morning, I'll get it on the stand today and get it cleaned and painted. I should have it in by this time next week. I cant wait, it is definatly overkill for the jeep but it should be fun. :D We'll have to see how good the 39 IROCs smoke. Thanx RD :smokin:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I know of several folks running big mills in 7's. Research here; you'll even find pics. If space for the rad is an issue, consider a DJ grill. also make room for a shroud

With the BBC, weight goes up and distribution changes more to the front. Consider a front axle stretch, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front 60 is moved forward a inch and I'm running xj rear springs and added 5 inches xtra in the back. When I'm done with the BB swap I am going to cage it and mount the 39 inch spare as far back as possible to help equal out the wieght. I pulled the stock exhaust manifolds and and went with a aluminum intake today, that alone probably dropped 150 lbs off the motor. :D Thanx RD

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
alot of my buddies removed their inner and outer fenders completely. That along with a good cooling system, you'll be fine. hillbilly

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
For cooling,chop the grill and use a stock chevy 4core rad.It will only stick out a couple of inchs next to the marker lights.I did this in my old cj-5 with a sbc in it.Never had any cooling problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts