Pirate 4x4 banner

Beach fishing bait cannon

6K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  micky_blue 
#1 ·
I have been Google-ing and YouTube-ing variations on the idea. It is basically a big potato cannon for shooting bait 200-300 yards off shore.

They are all about the same. I can build one with the just laying around the shop. Some schedule 80 PVC, a CO2 Power tank and a valve stem. The release mechanism is only limited by your budget and imagination. There are examples ranging of everything from solenoid valves to ball valves.

I have two different sized CO2 tanks in the garage. I would have to experiment with pressures, weights of projectiles, angles of the shot and how many shots I get per tank.

I have some 3" schedule 80 PVC. It has max operating pressure of 225 psi and a burst of 1200 psi. I would need some caps and various other fittings. A 18-24" long chamber should be plenty.

Two basic questions:
1) Anyone built one and want to share some pointers? I know it's not rocket science but I don't want to end up in the OSR fail thread.
2) I live in Commifornia. If I build one and take it to the beach am I going to end up in jail or on the terrorist watch list?

This guy sells a setup for $600! :eek:
https://squareup.com/store/bunker-up-fishin/item/sand-blaster-bait-caster-basic

See less See more
#7 ·
You freeze a leader with bait, weights, etc attached into properly sized rounds before you head out.

Fire it over the surf and it melts and stays put thanks to the weights. They are pretty common around Galveston.

A drone would do the same, but a potato cannon is pretty cheap and foolproof.

#9 · (Edited)
The release mechanism is only limited by your budget and imagination. There are examples ranging of everything from solenoid valves to ball valves.
Look up quick exhaust valves. Particularly as they apply to spud guns. They give a much better launch with less gas volume than a simple ball valve between the reservoir and barrel.

Simple paint drawing of a piston dump valve. Your CO2 connects to the fill, it pushes the piston against the barrel, sealing it, then blows past the loose fitting piston into the reservoir. When the trigger is opened, the pressure on the back side of the piston is released. Pressure in the reservoir rapidly shoves the piston back, opening a large, free flowing path to the barrel.

#16 ·
Look up quick exhaust valves. Particularly as they apply to spud guns. They give a much better launch with less gas volume than a simple ball valve between the reservoir and barrel.
That would be a good way to go. I work on industrial pressure relief valves, and that is pretty much the basic principle of how many of the high capacity valves operate. I probably have a few junk valves laying around that would be stupid awesome to use for something like this.

#11 ·
I built a paintball cannon that operated the same. If you use co2 you need some type of expansion chamber. Either a welded/soldered high pressure chamber that you release raw co2 into or a PVC one of about the same volume as the barrel. I always used a ball valve, less "cool" but cheaper and more reliable than most electronic ones.

For paintball I used Dixie cups with the sides cut for wads

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
they got popular off Hatteras till they were deemed primitive weapons(muzzle loaders), no weapons in a National park, so that went away. People used to blow up trash bags, ties their line to the bag, let the wind blow it out then jerk the line enough for it to come off the trash bag. Park Rangers didn't approve of releasing blown up trash bags into the ocean. If the wind it right, why not run a kit rig?

#20 · (Edited)
This is what I am worried about.

The thing that gets me busted would probably be more along the lines of violating some local code or restriction having to do with the beach and not necessarily the fishing part.

The trash bad thing is just a dick move.

Likely illegal in CA, and classified as a "firearm". Assuming the water is too deep to just wade out there, buy a $200 Wal-Mart kayak, that what guys here do.
Anything that has the perceived potential of causing little Johny harm has got to be strictly forbidden or available for a fee here. I have just not been able to confirm it is or is not illegal.

If I find out that the cannon part is illegal then maybe I'll just stake out some t-posts and use one of those water balloon slingshots to launch bait.

#24 ·
This is cheap and easy. Remove solenoid and install a tube with a 1/4" ball valve to act as the pilot.

I built one to shoot tennis balls and water bottles. 4" air chamber, 2" valve with 2.5" x 6' long barrel. At 125 PSI, it will send a full .5L water bottle 300 yds. It takes an air compressor to charge it though.

Scaled down for a 1-1.5" barrel, the scuba tank should provide quite a few casts.

You will need to freeze the bait onto a leader or else its going to turn into confetti as soon as it leaves the barrel.

#23 · (Edited)
Interesting approach...but there is a fuuny associated with said device.
Someone builds same and fails to notice its designed for an open face spin casting reel and no drag on the line.

Sets up with a 4/0 Penn bait caster...then the fun begins.

1st cast line has drag on the line so when cannon goes off bait goes out 10 yds with a SPLORK near the shore.

Not to be denied, individual then tries again by flipping the spool freewheel lever and....................we hear a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz with the line singing merrily out 200 yds ending with a nice KERPLUNK!. They then look back in dismay at reel with the birds nest that can eat CA being formed as the spool continues to freewheel. :D

#26 ·
Look, this pressurized air idea is neat and all, but lets get real. We need a Trebuchet in the bed of a pickup. Vertical tube on the front bumper to hold the rods, bait catapult in the rear, under bed coolers for beer and bait. This is begging for an early 80s Chevy diesel.

Maybe a flatbed to start is a good beginning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.