Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly finished with my YJ. Fired it up last night finished my rear disc conversion too. All of this semi-complicated stuff behind me, I cannot get my SX's to seal against my Rock Equipment beads.

The tires are 38.5x14.50x15 SX's on Rock Equipment 15x10, 16 bolt beadlocks.

I got 2 of them to seal fine. The other 2 I have had on and off 3 times each and they still leak. I have rotated the tire on the rim, used RTV (per Rock Equipment's instructions), tightened in a star pattern gradually up to their spec of 20 in/lbs, even went a little higher just to see if the tires just needed a little more convincing.

I am at a total loss here, tried the search, but found nothing directly related to what I need to find out. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Beadlock dilema-won't seal up

rkcrawl said:

Is this right?? INCH pounds? :eek: That is a little over 1 1/2 ft/lbs of torque. Seems really wrong. I would start by verifying that torque value first.
Thats what he said, but it was near quitting time, so I assumed he meant ft/lbs, so I have been trying them at 20 ft/lbs since the first one I did. I knew that figure had to be wrong given the torque values. I just read the Rockstomper beadlock write up on Tech, and cannot see where I did mine any different.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Have you tried wetting them down with a soapy solution to see where the leak is coming from? Pin holes where the inner ring was welded to the rim?

BTW: Go delete your cross post in jeep tech.

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Regardless of how well my buddy welded my Longfield locks on, I still covered the entire weld over with a layer of black RTV in the large cauk gun tubes from autozone.

I've had my tires mounted and been too lazy with all the snow to pull them off and put back on the all terrains for DD, but they've been leak free for *knock on wood* over 3 weeks now with 24 bolt longs @ 30 or 35ft/lbs forget what he recommends off-hand, just check them every couple of days to ensure they are tight (always are).

You can always get a bottle of windex and spray it around the beads and spray the valve stem too...

Or take it to a big tire shop and have them put it in a dunk tank. I've seen valve cores that just needed an 1/8 turn to solve leaks....

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used Windex to locate the leaks. One was near a small (eraser sized) imperfection on the bead. The other tire is leaking in 2 spots beside 2 bolts almost 180* from each other. I will try to lay a bead on the welds themselves tomorrow night and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up with the double post, I took care of it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
take a grinder to the tire surface that lays on the ring. grinding down only the high spots and knots

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
THE ROCK EQUIPMENT BEADLOCKS ARE 1/4" ON THE BEAD AND 1/2" INSIDE THAT....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts