Pirate 4x4 banner

Which is the better material for 4x4 wheels??

• Aluminum

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Steel

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Daniel said:
Cmon the Guy is from BRAZIL!
Lets help him out a little bit...

Aluminum = light
Steel = Cheap

Daniel,

I might be from Brasil, but I´m not in need of help. I know very well my preference and it´s likely not to change regardless of what´s said here. I raised the point more as a academic question for discussion........;)

As for your affirmation that aluminum has the advantage of being lighter, I really question the effective difference wheel weight makes considering its relatively small percentage of the total tire/wheel assembly. Also, with the wheel being closer to the rotational center, the rolling mass of the tire would have a LOT more impact.......

Only MHO of course. Being from Brasil would seem to leave me with a certain handicap as far as knowledge is concerned.....:rolleyes:

EDIT: I forgot...............:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well said, Bill. There's probably some killer wheelin' down in S. America that nothing here in the states could ever compare to.
Travis

Edit: BTW, is it Brasil or Brazil?

brasil
n : the largest Latin American country and the largest Portuguese speaking country in the world; located in eastern South America; world's leading coffee exporter [syn: Brazil, Brasil]

Bra·zil
A country of eastern South America. The largest country in the continent, it was ruled by Portugal from 1500 to 1822, when it became a separate empire ruled by Pedro I, son of King John VI of Portugal. A republic was established in 1889. Brasília has been the capital since 1960; São Paulo is the largest city. Population: 153,725,000.

Bra·zili·anadj. & n.
Word History: The name Brazil is derived from the Portuguese and Spanish word brasil, the name of an East Indian tree with reddish-brown wood from which a red dye was extracted. The Portuguese found a New World tree related to the Old World brasil tree when they explored what is now called Brazil, and as a result they named the New World country after the Old World tree. The word brasil is cognate with French brésil, Old French berzi and bresil, Old Italian verzino, and Medieval Latin brezellum, brasilium, bresillum, braxile. The many Latin forms suggest a non-Latin, non-Romance origin, as in an East Indian term.

Sorry for the long winded text above. I was just curious, and the dictionary entries only helped a little. Best to ask someone from there.
Travis

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In Portuguese, it´s Brasil, with the "s". I really have no idea of where the "z" came from, but it´s likely nothing more than an "Englishization" of the Portuguese / Spanish word.

Actually, this kind of thing is very common. Here, the United States of America is called "os Estados Unidos de América"

Deutchland is called "Alemanha"
Nederland is called "Holanda"
Sverge is called "Sweden"
Nippon is called "Japão"
etc..........

Iraque is called "Buraco Negro do Cú de Sadam"...:D

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daniel said:
I did not imply you were Knowledge impared because you are from Brazil...
Only how cool we got a foreigner here... lets help him out...
It´s cool.......;)

Back on the subject at hand, the clear choice would seem to be steel.
- cheap
- bend, don´t break
- esay to touch up the finish (for those that care)
- weldable, easier to convert to beadlocks
- easier to maintain lugs tight (said from someone whose lost an aluminum wheel at speed):eek: :mad:

Except for the bling factor, I personally cannot see any advantage of aluminum. Weight, as mentioned before, would seem to be insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I didn't vote for either because I think it depends on your purpose. If no custom work is needed, except maybe some outer beadlocks fitted to the wheel, then aluminum. Application for this may be a '82 CJ-7 with moderate lift and stock axles. The guy wants beadlock wheels and 35's to bolt up to his stock axles.
Now a more custom application such as custom bolt patterns, backspacing, and custom design beadlocks, would dictate a steel wheel simply because all this stuff cannot be done to an aluminum wheel. Most aluminum wheels a cast or forged with certain dimensions and cannot be have bolt pattern or backspacing changed. Agreed?
Travis

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think it is worthy of not that there are different methods of cast Al and then forged AL. I am sure the steelies come in different grades, and thicknesses, I know. My ALCOA aluminum wheels have held up better than any other steel or AL I have seen. You can also use a BFH on them.

-Bart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts