Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

i was wondering if beadlocks would be alright to run on a daily driver? if i remember corectly, beadlocks were not DOT approved making them ilegal for street usage.

im not into streetlocks and all that non functional sh#t

i want to be able to lower my tire pressure without having the fawkin bead popping off the rim. but will beadlocks be street-friendly with my 33" mtr's, i figure you cant balance them but thats what you guys do with your 38+ " meats right?

whats the deal, i hear that beedlocks will cut into your tire, will this really effect or bother the tough arse sidewalls?

thanks for the info guys and gals

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Do you need beadlocks? How often are you loosing beads now? What psi? Etc. Etc.

With most 33"s under light vehicles - bead loss isn't a huge deal. Unless you run low psi. The main reason guys run bead locks is to get single digit psi and retain the bead.

Under the rear of my Scout I have never lost a bead even at 8-9 psi with 35" BFG MTs. The fronts go all the time at 12psi but with a 1000lb motor thats to be expected... :D Anyway...

But if you need them - you'll hate them on a daily driver - they require vigilant maintaince for saftey!! You need to check each bolt on a very frequent basis - and you might have pressure loss just because - even the best beadlocks can loose pressure just sitting in your driveway. And the balancing issue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey hey

well my buddie lost a bead on his 33" swampers running 15 psi

i havent had any problems running 15psi in my mtr's YET!

well screw beedlocks, i guess i will make sure i bring plenty of lighter fluid :flipoff2:

i havent attempted to run below 10 psi, i think 15psi works pretty good and it helps keep the rim away from the rocks a little better.

thanks for the reply man

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yep Rob, an IH motor is FRICKIN HUGE. The intake is over 100 pounds..They are WAY overbuilt. They use the same motor all the way up the scale in IH trucks, like dump trucks with 10 wheels etc. I even remember tractor trailer trucks with IH v8 gas motors, but they had a ton of gears beheind them... According t othe binder bulletin, http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/7.htm a 392 dry weight is 765...That is without accessories...

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
With 15lbs in the tires, you shouldn't be losing any beads, unless you have the wrong wheel choice for the tires you are running.
Scott

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
1badPOS said:
With 15lbs in the tires, you shouldn't be losing any beads, unless you have the wrong wheel choice for the tires you are running.
True
I'm running a PunanI :)rolleyes:) AR767 15x8 - 33x12.5x15
aired down to 7.
Even with a 15x10 you shouldn't have a problem at 15psi :confused:

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
rusted said:

:eek: Are you serious?
Hell yeah International did not mess around, high Iron content block, 4 bolt mains, timing gears....... The IH motors were basiclly industry motors adapted for use in Scout's, Trucks, and T-Alls. They run on single digit oil pressure, with 300,000 miles on a motor common.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I got my Allieds cuz I lost a bead every weekend with 16 wide boogers on 12 inch rims running about 15 pounds.

Not one single loss of bead since.

They were the second most bestest thing I did to my truck, the first being a Marlin!

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Madmarx said:
Yep Rob, an IH motor is FRICKIN HUGE. The intake is over 100 pounds..
Your +40 lbs heavy! Last year I have pulled 4 four barrel intake at Pick and pull and sold them to other scout guys. I shipped all of them by UPS. There 64 lbs not 100+

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
With your tires, you should be fine at least down to 12psi. How wide are your rims?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It all depends on how often and where you wheel.

If it was me, I would put beads on a set of off road only tires, then have a set of heavy duty truck tires on regular wheels for daily street use. Too bad I dont have that kinda cash laying around, so I just ride my mALL TERRAINS everywhere...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Old Scout said:

Your +40 lbs heavy! Last year I have pulled 4 four barrel intake at Pick and pull and sold them to other scout guys. I shipped all of them by UPS. There 64 lbs not 100+
Ok, I overestimated. I do know it was damn heavy trying to set one in place on the motor. It felt like 100 pounds...:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
when i had 33" mtrs i regularly ran 8-10psi in them on a standard 15x8 wheel and never lost a bead. save your money and air down some more.

Hunter

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Old Scout said:

And I know I has a little exagerating when I said an IH motor weighs 1000 pounds. But it's still far too heavy to comprehend for most non IH owners :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey hey

im running 15x8's,

WINTER-
i usually go fawk around in the fields around here and a few trips to prayrie city (california off highway vehicle park aka- ohv park) and forest hill ohv park

SPRING AND SUMMER-
i make many trips to the rubicon and plan on going to moab at the end of the year (at least im dreaming about moab!)

well i dont think 12lbs wont be that bad, i am going to try it out on spring break (rubi time!)

man those fawkin scouts are sooooooo damn heavy, i always new they were heavy, but the engine weighting almost 800lbs? DAMN!

to you scout guys- my buddie has an old scout, late 60's i believe, he has a slant 4 in it right now that runs, but he hasnt really driven it (just got it, and doing axle swaping to waggy d44's, dana 27's f&r WTF?)

he wants to run 35's and i told him hes fing nuts with that big of a rig and that 4 banger, what would be the cheapest engine swap for him?

thanks again guys!

:usa:

·
Registered
557 Posts
They are super for runnin a few pounds of air the tires but i am not sure about use on a DD

·
Registered
734 Posts
I was pulling a complete IH 345 with bellhousing and T19. Well over 1000 pounds. The bolt I had screwed into the head to hold the chain snapped. Never had that happen before with a SBC and tranny. Good thing I had a backup bolt through the chain which held.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
The 4 banger won't be his biggest problem.
35's on a D27 = :nuke:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Beadlocks only a daily driver is not a great thing, my experience with them was on windy roads or even in town they would break a couple of bolts every now and then and start losing air I would immediatly replace them as soon as it happened but I was never in a big hurry to get somewhere when I drove that truck on the road. Save your money and stay with normal rims.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts