Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from doin some snow wheelin up here, (forgot to take the cam) and got to try out my new eagle 589 beadlocks in the snow.... aired the front down to 3 psi and rear to 1.5 ...running 36 x12.5.15 tsl.... lost front inner bead twice and rear twice..... was some pretty gnarley frozen sidehills and under cuts and wash outs but thought the inner bead would hold better than this....anyone have any good suggestions on how to make the inner stay on better? besides more psi? besides that wheeled better...just neet front locker now...fk the tru trak...
norm-

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
I thought you couldn't bead lock an eagle rim because they were too brittle?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
champion wheel makes them...they are pretty strong, light weight,durable and bling bling,,,,but dont hold inner bead under xtreme wheelin at low psi:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
They make tire glue, I think it is basicly rubber cement. I know some guys who run it and it seams to work well.

Are those crome or aluminium rims? My black steel rims hold the bead just fine around 1LB without glue or beadlocks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
alum alloy --for regular snow wheeliln i can run low psi, but i was doin some pretty good sidehills w/ undercuts about 4 feet tall dropoffs etc...was not impressed at how they didnt hold air --didnt have to go that low, but wanted to try the beadlocks out and see how well they worked,,,i have another set of alum centerline rims with bfg with no beadlocks that i usuallr run 3-4 psi and usually no problems....eagles sucked

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hope they do better on the rocks in the con this summer or they will be up for sale soon

·
Visa Master
2,329 Posts
Working a short time at a semi tire center that on occassion did retail (light trucks and small cars) I was NOT impressed with the size of the safety bead of the entire eagle alloy line... My buddies Mickey wheels i put on though were nice...:eek:

·
Registered
342 Posts
strmin said:
just got back from doin some snow wheelin up here, (forgot to take the cam) and got to try out my new eagle 589 beadlocks in the snow.... aired the front down to 3 psi and rear to 1.5 ...running 36 x12.5.15 tsl.... lost front inner bead twice and rear twice..... was some pretty gnarley frozen sidehills and under cuts and wash outs but thought the inner bead would hold better than this....anyone have any good suggestions on how to make the inner stay on better? besides more psi? besides that wheeled better...just neet front locker now...fk the tru trak...
norm-

all i can say is, air compresses when cold, so most likely u had 0 psi, anyways its always cold as fawk here, and on my first wheelin trip here, -25 i lost four beads, mostly inner ones, i dropped down to 7 psi, everyone else stayed about 15 and no problems, i say just keep more air in them when your playin around in the cold

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I run 38.5/16/15 Bias Claws on a 10"rim at 6psi no beadlocks and all i use is normal contact adhesive on both beads. First sand the inside lip of the rim and then fit the tyre and then spray some contact adhesive on the rim and also on the bead of the tyre and leave it for 5min before seating the bead.
I have yet to pop a bead but would not risk running at lower pressures.
This may work well enough to hold the inner at lower pressures.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've had similar problems.I live at over 10.000ft. Pretty cold here. Seems like if I run under 4-5 psi and my beads are frozen, I often loose the inner bead. I'm running TSL S/X's. Probably will weld a thicker safety bead soon.
:cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Re: beadlocks didnt help

northpole85 said:

all i can say is, air compresses when cold, so most likely u had 0 psi, anyways its always cold as fawk here, and on my first wheelin trip here, -25 i lost four beads, mostly inner ones, i dropped down to 7 psi, everyone else stayed about 15 and no problems, i say just keep more air in them when your playin around in the cold
I have to agree with this. You hit the trail head after running the tire (if not trailered that is) on the street, all nice and warm. You air down to 3 an run the trail at crawler speeds, not enough to keep the tire warm. So your 3 psi has now become 0 because it's cooled off. Try running 10 and by thie time everything cools off you should be around 6 or 7.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i checked the pressure frequently on all 4 tires - cause i kept losing inner beeds the gauge said 1.5 psi rear 3 psi ft tried 4 and 4.5 and still lost beed....pinched it on undercut but i was hoping that it would stay on

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I guess I gotta ask why you were running such low pressure. Up in Walla Walla I ran the 36's with 7 pounds in the tires and they worked the best at that pressure and I didn't have beadlocks. Are they radials or bias ply? I guess that makes a bit of difference. More air pressure is key cause you just don't need to go that low with those tires.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they are the tsl bisply....the lower psi you go, the better footprint-better you can go in snow

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
you must have a 10" rim.......too wide for a 12:50 tire IMO, I have run 35/16 wide boggers on 8"s no locks no bead loss, now I run38.5x 11:00's on 8"s down to 3lbs in the sno, no bead loss no beadlocks either:D these are BOGGERS. you need 8" rims for that skinny tire.:(

·
Registered
343 Posts
had same problem.

i had same problem with the SAME tires and in the snow and dirt.

i attributed it to the ALL nylon cord of the 36x12.50 TSL's. i could just stand on the inner bead on ground and my own weight would pop it off. i then had a 39.5 TSL that i couldn't even get off by driving on it on the same wheel. the steel cord tires have a much tighter bead and are less app to "stretch"

i think you would have the same problem even on an 8" wheel. i believe it is the tire. i personally wouldn't recommend the 36x12.5 TSL after my experience with them.

good luck, just my $.02

1 - 20 of 58 Posts