Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size and pattern beadlocks are you guys mostly using?

I ask, because one of the desert racing wheel companies makes a 17x8" beadlock w/ 4.5" backspacing that is blank...no holes. They don't make them in "normal" lug patterns, so I'm wondering if it's worth me getting them, machining the lug pattern and reselling them?
I could do them in 8x6.5, 6x6.5, 6x5.5 and 5x5.5 for around $300ea. Is that in the ballpark?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
8 on 6.5 is really common..

$300 ea is in the ballpark
Forged or cast?

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8 on 6.5 is really common..

$300 ea is in the ballpark
Forged or cast?
I can do the 8 on 6.5 too. Mainly need to be sure the 17x8 w/ 4.5" backspacing would work...that's the only size the blank comes in.
Cast... BTR wheels..proven in the desert.

·
11,307 Posts
Chrisd nice wheles, more info? Rings, etc? Also they are single bead (outer only correct)? For some market research, check out Walker Evans, Poison Spyder, Eaton, champion, etc. I think 8 on 6.5, 6 lug (toy) and 5 on 5 are the most common patterns.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chrisd nice wheles, more info? Rings, etc? Also they are single bead (outer only correct)? For some market research, check out Walker Evans, Poison Spyder, Eaton, champion, etc. I think 8 on 6.5, 6 lug (toy) and 5 on 5 are the most common patterns.
http://www.btrracingwheels.com/
Cast Aluminum wheels, and very strong...yet lighter than most. Forged aluminum beadlock rings in 4 colors.. red, black, blue and polished. Outer rings only.

Very common wheel in desert racing, but as such, they only come in race patterns... wide 5 VW and trophy truck 6x6.5 pattern. Since they sell a blank, I figured I'de just machine in the lug holes and ship them.
Who wants some?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
8 on 6.5 for guys on one-tons
6 on 5.5 for toyotas/waggies/chevy 1/2 tons
5 on 5.5 for Jeep CJs/Ford 1/2 tons/broncos/scouts/samurais
5 on 4.5 for XJs/YJs/TJs/ZJs

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
How long does machining take for a pair of four? Might be worth it to advertise the above four patterns and then just drill on demand. Do that for a while and get a better understanding of what you need to keep on hand.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
They cheaped out and no longer drill/tap a double bolt pattern for the beadlock? When did they start doing that. It was one of the big selling points.

I work with the guys that designed those wheels. Have they fixed the supply problems?

They are very strong wheels. I've seen one that is still in one piece after having a Kevlar Goodyear ripped off of it. The inner bead is also purposefully NOT designed to DOT spec's in order to retain it better.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
For the one ton guys out there that narrow there axle by two inches and then run 3.5" B.S. Wheels these would be a great alternative. I have KMC 4.75" B.S. on full size and it is about right. I would guess 4.5" would not bother anybody. Some might like the extra two inches saved.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They cheaped out and no longer drill/tap a double bolt pattern for the beadlock? When did they start doing that. It was one of the big selling points.

I work with the guys that designed those wheels. Have they fixed the supply problems?

They are very strong wheels. I've seen one that is still in one piece after having a Kevlar Goodyear ripped off of it. The inner bead is also purposefully NOT designed to DOT spec's in order to retain it better.
This is the first wheel I've seen WITHOUT the extra holes, so I'm not sure. The ones on my buggy have the extra set. I'll ask about it.
Supply is still hit or miss, but mainly on the wide 5 VW wheels. The others are typically available.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a bunch of blanks in stock right now, if anybody is interested in a set. Just PM me.
17x8 4.5" backspacing with your choice of beadlock color... Black, Red, Blue, Polished.
8x6.5, 6x6.5, 5x5.5....can't do the 5x4.5.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I have a bunch of blanks in stock right now, if anybody is interested in a set. Just PM me.
17x8 4.5" backspacing with your choice of beadlock color... Black, Red, Blue, Polished.
8x6.5, 6x6.5, 5x5.5....can't do the 5x4.5.
Still $300?

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Until I come to my senses..sure. Plus shipping of course. PM me for more info...
I was just asking 'cause you didn't say. I can't afford to drop $1200 on wheels right now. I did PM you about something else a while back and never heard from you. I'll resend it.

Thanks,

Ary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts