Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market so what do you carry in the tent or trunk for bears?

I am looking for a bear gun in the $450-600 range, hopefully the only time I will fire it will be at the range, but we have run into more and more bears in the forest... I am partial right now to the taurus revolvers in either 45 LC or 454 cas, anybody have experiance with these or should I man up and get the S&W 500??

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
A scout length Marlin lever gun in your choice of caliber would be my first selection - but it seems your leaning towards a pistol -

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A scout length Marlin lever gun in your choice of caliber would be my first selection - but it seems your leaning towards a pistol -
Correct looking for a pistol that won't take up space/ freak anyone out because I can leave it holstered in my bag.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I'm sure there are several pistols that'll get the job done - I'd just prefer over-kill when dealing with predator protection. I'd get the largest caliber you're comfortable firing - it's not a matter of if this doesn't die - I'm not eating dinner.. it's a matter of - if this doesn't die - I'M DINNER.

S&W makes some nice large frames with shorter barrel lengths for easy bag concealability -

·
Registered
509 Posts
I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in 45.LC for bears.
The rounds I use are Cor Bon 45 Colt Magnum +P 300GR Jacketed Soft Point.
Velocity 1300FPS Energy1123FT/LBS.
Use it on pigs to works great.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure there are several pistols that'll get the job done - I'd just prefer over-kill when dealing with predator protection. I'd get the largest caliber you're comfortable firing - it's not a matter of if this doesn't die - I'm not eating dinner.. it's a matter of - if this doesn't die - I'M DINNER.

S&W makes some nice large frames with shorter barrel lengths for easy bag concealability -
So the extra 4-500 bucks worth it to go S&W?

·
Registered
509 Posts
You can use the same bullets in LC and Cas. The Cas is a little longer than the LC in the caseing. You can shoot both out of the Cas but not the other way around for the LC.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the addvantages of the longer barrell specifically comparing the 6" to the 8 3/4" besides one looking a lot cooler, when I have held both I noticed a pretty considerable balance differance. I won't be shooting anything father than 25yards(or plan on shooting farther than that)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I personally carry a TC Encore .45-70 Gov't with synthetic (duh) & 18" barrel. Love it.

However, my hunting / business partner carries the .500 S&W. Has a long barrel (10 3/4" custom, I believe), but has all but forgotten it after getting the 5". Absolutely loves it. Better balance, more fun to shoot, easier to carry & conceal. Only downside is some loss in muzzle velocity, but how far off is the bear ? :flipoff2:

BTW, first time we took it out, he put over 100 rounds thru it. His handshake was much weaker the next day...

·
Registered
506 Posts
I haven't shot any of the 300 grains. And I pray that I never have to. I shoot 240's out of it at the range. I have the 4" barrel and I carry it with me on my 4wheeler, and when I'm out fishing, hunting and doing field work. I carry it in a vertical shoulder holster and its very comfortable. The 4" barrel is nice because its not too big, but its still longer than the 3 1/2".

From what I have been "told" the only reason for the longer barrel is not only for balance issues but the longer the barrel the more accurate it will shoot at distances. I personally don't have any experience with that being true or not. But when I got mine I was of the same mind, I'm not going to be taking long shots, its going to be all within 30 yrds or so.

Also when I was looking for it, I wanted something that I could take to the range and shoot every once in a while and that I won't not want to shoot after I put the first round through it. Many people up here carry the exact same pistol that I do for bear protection. The only difference is the barrel length. Also the S&W 629 .44 mag was recommended to me by a friend who is a guide and both him and his dad have carried the exact same gun I have for many years and have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
So the extra 4-500 bucks worth it to go S&W?
Not sure - never owned one of their large frame. I would personally go Ruger 100000% of the way, but the Super Redhawks I'm in love with right now only come in 7.5" or longer barrels (Low Glare Stainless) - which seems a bit long for your bag-o-tricks gun :) I thought Super Redhawks came in shorter barrels back in the day, but I'm pretty sure you can only get 7.5" or longer from Ruger now - regardless of which Super Redhawk you choose - except for Alaskan - which I can only imagine is a handfull to shoot - and it wouldn't matter what caliber your shooting if you can't hit your target with some reliability.

You could definitely look into the Super Blackhawks -if your okay with a single action - I think they come in 4" and change lengths --

My Super Redhawk .44 was absolutely perfect and reliable - was just commenting on the S&W because they come in some rather interesting calibers now - definitely not sure they are worth the $$ though -

1 - 20 of 48 Posts