Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to "round" a spindle?

I can not install a bearing over the spindle of a rear D60 full floater. I've tried four different bearings and none fit over this spindle :(

Yes, I searched and didn't see anything. Yes, the bearings were square.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to get the ass of my project on wheels this week :p

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
guess an axle snapped in it. Swells em up sometimes and makes them impossible almost to get bearings on and off. I dont know how you could resize it.....:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bearing just barely doesn't want to fit over... I could force it but I really hate to do that :(

I had new to me spindles put on my 60 so I could run 35 spline shafts. The inside of the spindle looks ok but it has been bored/machined for 35 spline shafts.

I'm not sure on the history of the spindle but Gearman knows since he did the work/supplied the spindle(good price too) :D

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any input from the day crew?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
What is the OD of the spindle and the ID of the bearing?

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not DEAD sure on them and my equipment isn't accurate enough to say "the bearing ID is ## thousands too large".

I do know they are the right bearing because they fit the other side's spindle fine.

They just BARELY don't want to get over the bearing surface on the spindle. I think the bearing surface MAY just need to be smoothed a little.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Heat the bearing, freeze the shaft....

Works almost every time.

Jim

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
John,

Is the spindle older? Maybe rough or corroded?

I experienced this once and simply poliched the spindle with fine emery cloth for a bit, then on went the bearing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Take a caliper and see if the spindle is round. If so, the emery cloth is the answer. If not, emery cloth can still be used, just use it more on the high spots.

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the recommendation guys... I wasn't 100% sure that was the "best" way to take care of this problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts