Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda a newbie question but I am working on the first 9 inch axle I have ever owned so I got no way to know.

I am taking a EB 9 inch and putting disk on it, I have the ford rotors, monte carlo calipers, and the weld on brackets. The question comes with what to bolt to the end of the housing tube to retain the bearing. In the case of drums I suppose the backing plate would hold it in, I bought the housing bare so I dont know how it worked for sure. If thats the case can I just machine a peice of 1/4 inch steel to match up with the housing end? I guess the thickness would matter as well because you would want the shaft and bearing to seat all the way.

Any ideas or comments?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
do you have axles? if so there is a plate that stayes on the axel outboard of the bearing that bolts up unless somone has an aftermarket axel then chec out moser or dutchman for the axel retaing plates they have for an idea of what to make.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have what you speak of, it is only about an 1/8 of an ich thick though and I was not sure that was all that there was to it, seems a little flimsy but Im sure ford new what they were doing.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
46willys said:
This is kinda a newbie question but I am working on the first 9 inch axle I have ever owned so I got no way to know.

I am taking a EB 9 inch and putting disk on it, I have the ford rotors, monte carlo calipers, and the weld on brackets. The question comes with what to bolt to the end of the housing tube to retain the bearing. In the case of drums I suppose the backing plate would hold it in, I bought the housing bare so I dont know how it worked for sure. If thats the case can I just machine a peice of 1/4 inch steel to match up with the housing end? I guess the thickness would matter as well because you would want the shaft and bearing to seat all the way.

Any ideas or comments?
The drum brake backing plate sandwiched between the bearing retainer and the axle flange. It's about the same thickness as the bearing retainer.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Without seeing it, I would say you can use the stock retainer.
or you can make something similar that looks better.
but your going to have to change your bearings if you want to change it.

I prefer to change my bearings everytime I pull an axle, if it has been very long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts