Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Yamaha Beartracker. I got the bike for free a year ago and have worked on it here and there, finally got it going.

When I got it the cam chain was near loose enough to fall off so I replaced that, had it bored, new piston, rings, etc. It didn't have a CDI box so I put on a brand new one, new parts in the carb. I moved the clip to the lowest setting on the needle and the pilot screw is out 2 1/2 turns.

My original problem is that it would run for a second and die, then I finally put new parts in the carb and now it runs great. Starts right away and idles fine. The problem now is that it won't always take throttle, especially under load. If it stalls it will always start right back up and idle fine. Sometimes even in neutral it will start to sputter and almost stall if you give it gas, sometimes it revs right up like it should. Sometimes you can put it in gear and ride away, give it full throttle and go through all the gears, sometimes it will start to creep and then start to sputter or die if you don't get off the gas. Right now before I put it away it was getting really bad and would hardly take gas at all. My dad is suspecting the coil since the CDI is new and it sounds kind of like a miss when it starts to sputter.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
125 Posts
That one is hard to diagnose over the web......but my first thought while reading through your post is that needle in your CV slide isnt installed right or the CV diaphram is ripped/torn or not sealing at the cap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A problem with the diaphragm had crossed my mind. I'll have to take it apart again and take a look at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I took it apart to check out the diaphragm and everything looked ok. But after putting it back together it runs 99% better. I'm thinking the diaphragm may not have been seated right in the top lip on the carb. It's still not perfect but replacing the diaphragm would be $150, so I'll ride it a while and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts