Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to bob my bed this weekend, my question is how do you reattach the rear section? The redline represents the weld point and the blue represents the bed, in the third diagram the blue bar at the top is scrap metal. How would you guys recommend reattaching the end?

Attachments

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Most I have seen are just butt welded together. Make those lines as straight as possible. Your Tacoma bed is different since it starts to flare unlike the older style ones. I think the guys name is ROCKTACO??? that did his and posted pics. Looked real slick... I'll search for it.

Found it

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ROCKTACO said:
I can try and dig up some pics of it tonight if you need?

EDIT: oh ya i just butted it together, seems to be strong enough:)
If you do not mind send me the pic's that would be cool, any information is good information.

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
Can't really do option 2 anyway. So it's 1 or 3. I did 3 just because it was stronger.

If your having problems with blowing thru you can hold a chunk of brass block behind where your welding and it will keep from creating holes and won't stick to the puddle. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
i did three when i did mine. i would recommend because it makes it easier to wled, stronger, and there more metal to soak up the heat so you have less deformation

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone, I am so stoked about cutting up my truck this weekend. It looks like I will be doing option 3. Does anyone have a prefered brand of bondo and primer? I just hope some day I will not be still making payments on the truck.

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
lsloth said:
Thank you everyone, I am so stoked about cutting up my truck this weekend. It looks like I will be doing option 3. Does anyone have a prefered brand of bondo and primer? I just hope some day I will not be still making payments on the truck.
Any bodyshop grade will work. Just don't get it at the hardware store. I have used 3 different ones and all worked equally well. Go to your local paint/supplies place and chat with them. They can give you an idea of what to buy based on dry time, thickness needed and what you will be finishing it with. Tell you how to mix the activator and general tips you will need. You will need other supplies also so this is just the best route IMO.

Full-fill primer is your friend! :D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We are planning on using a plasma cutter to make the cuts would just using a sazall be eaiser?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
lsloth said:
We are planning on using a plasma cutter to make the cuts would just using a sazall be eaiser?
a plasma cutter is awesome, use it all you can. makes clean cuts dont use the sawzall. technology is your friend

1 - 16 of 16 Posts