Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 16 years old and work about 35 hours a week at a private car shop. Im not the best mechanic but i know a good a mount of stuff and always have the time and opportunity to learn. Im looking for a cheap project vehicle to build and wrench on. Looking into doing mostly trails and some crawling. Im wanting to get a solid project vehicle for under a grand. I currently have around 1700 i can spend. Its going to have to be a cheaper build which i know is hard to do, I would prefer a jeep but will be interested into anything,

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Honestly, get a running driving YJ that has the 4.0 HO motor. That way you dont have to worry about getting a motor and puting EFI on it. You can do a spring over and wheel it for a while till you build some axles to swap into it.

Ive been in your position, I had a project I started that I changed my mind a million times and have never since had a running rig in the last 5 years(mainly due to working too much and running my own shop to build anything for myself). Start with something you can drive and go from there. Look at how many people start with parts and build a complete buggy and see how long it took them. Im not counting all the guys that can afford to spend thousands on parts and build a buggy. Im talking the average joe(especially in your case with the 1700 you say you have) if you dont want to be burnt out in a few months or a year of getting nothing going. Get a driver.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Im 16 years old and work about 35 hours a week at a private car shop. Im not the best mechanic but i know a good a mount of stuff and always have the time and opportunity to learn. Im looking for a cheap project vehicle to build and wrench on. Looking into doing mostly trails and some crawling. Im wanting to get a solid project vehicle for under a grand. I currently have around 1700 i can spend. Its going to have to be a cheaper build which i know is hard to do, I would prefer a jeep but will be interested into anything,
Though its not a jeep my best advise to you is to get a toyota truck/-4runner, they are usually cheap, very reliable and get great mileage. from my experiance jeeps are very capable vehicle but not allways easy to get cheap parts for, when I go to the junk yard I rarely find jeeps there but there are allways toyotas there, and parts interchange between cars, 2 wheel drive truck, and 4 wheel drive trucks. Just an option you might want to look into. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
JEEP XJ are a good start too cheap !!!!!If you can't find a Toyota

Drive around the backroads and go search for your project, somebody's else project or old vehicle they don't drive anymore

Good old Craigslist.org

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm with them, a running rig is always the best place to start, tinker with it and get stuck a few times stock, everyone learns this way, lol btw, lockers before lift :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
ive got a running 85 chevy truck 4x4 that i would take $1200 for it if you wanted to come to North Texas to get it? I was about to part it out but if you wanted it i wouldnt. If your interested just PM and maybe we can work something out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts