Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a stupid question...but will any SBC bellhousing work with a 4.3L V6 and an SM420????? I know the bellhousing will bolt to the 4.3...but will any bellhousing work with the SM420????
Thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
You need a specific bell housing. The diameter on the hole for the SM465 is larger than the hole for the SM420.
Look for a bell housing from a 1967 or older V8 chevy truck.

CrznDawg

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You can also install an indexing ring around the 420 bearing retainer to shim it for the larger diameter 465 hole. BTW, the cast iron bellhousing on GM I6 engines also works.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys! Time to hit the wrecking yards

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
hey dave! no need to go to the junk yards just to be disapointed; i got a bellhousing and fork for ya. how's $50? and yes, it's cast iron, cause the aluminum jobbers don't hold up in 4x4s.;)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay...another stupid question...will my 3spd bellhousing bolt to the 4.3 V6...cause I know that my SM420 bolts right up to it...hey Tooleman...if my 3spd housing wont work, then I'll sell mine to ya....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've got one too if anybody else is looking.

Cast iron, chevy V6 to SM420. It's just taking up space in my yard.;)

I've got half a dozen LC three speed bell housings as well:D

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll take it

PM'ed ya Reddog...I'll take that V6 to SM420 Bellhousing from you.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I know you greybeards know this, but for the youngsters, there is also a light duty cast iron GM bellhousing that was used in passenger cars coupled to the 3 spd, and Muncie 4 spd.
Do not use one of these, they will crack and cause you grief.
The truck version has 2 angled pads on the lower portion for mounts which the car don't have.
Don't ask me how I know.....:flipoff2:
Butch

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
texican said:
I know you greybeards know this, but for the youngsters, there is also a light duty cast iron GM bellhousing that was used in passenger cars coupled to the 3 spd, and Muncie 4 spd.
Do not use one of these, they will crack and cause you grief.
The truck version has 2 angled pads on the lower portion for mounts which the car don't have.
Don't ask me how I know.....:flipoff2:
Butch
Damn, now I gotta go all the way out to the garage and check to see which one I've got :D I'm pretty sure it's the truck version.

Yup ! it's the truck type, it's one heavy duty MoFo :eek:

BTW, how'd you know I was sportin a grey beard ? :)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Re: I'll take it

Dave W said:
PM'ed ya Reddog...I'll take that V6 to SM420 Bellhousing from you.
Thanks
Dave , I didn't get a PM :confused:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
We found the crack in my daughters "Lil Red" the day before we were to leave for GSMTR '01. Had it on the muffler rack just going it over one last time, my partner was in the truck and we were hunting a squeak when the clutch was depressed, just kept looking and following the noise, it was cracked from the window the pivot fork goes thru, all the say to one of the top mounting holes. The sqeak was the crack opening and shutting, luckily I had another one laying in my stash, I did not realize it had a "light one" until we had it off a couple of hours later and layed them side by side, the truck version is thicker and stouter in every area.
Butch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts