Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the Diesel swap thread and learned something new. It was mentioned that the bellhousing for a TH350 tranny is an SAE#3 pattern. Before this, I had never heard that bellhousings had specific patterns according to the SAE.

My question is this. Does the ZFHP22 tranny in my DII have an SAE designation? That would help alot in choosing a proper engine when it comes time to repower. :)

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Yeah, knowing our luck it'll be like SAE 74 1/2 or something screwy.

Good luck! Let us know what you find (if we don't see the reply here).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhmm, does this mean nobody knows? Or that all the diesel guys think the ZF is too big a POS to bolt an oil-burner to? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Greg Davis said:
Uhmm, does this mean nobody knows? Or that all the diesel guys think the ZF is too big a POS to bolt an oil-burner to? :flipoff2:
i wouldnt, diesels are hell on transmissions

and the ZF isnt *that* great. its adequate for a rover V8 or Tdi, but go beyond that and you are really pushing its limits- for all the same reasons that they are such widely hated transmissions when used in BMWs.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
One thing to consider is that the ZF in your disco is set up for a gas engine and may not perform as you expect with a lower revving diesel engine. There is actually a different ZF for the 300 Tdi equipped Disco (which has at least a different valve body, and input shaft).

Just food for thought.

Billster

ps. I think the ZF is a good auto transmission btw.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i don't think you will find another eng. that matches the tranny bolt pattern that is worth a swap. i have looked before and the only thing i came up with was a buick v6 and some caddy motor. and this info was third hand never saw anything to confirm it. let us know if you find something differnt.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
It is similar, but not the same as a fairly common B.O.P. pattern which was used with some caddys as well.

Ron

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
9V said:

for all the same reasons that they are such widely hated transmissions when used in BMWs.
If they are soooo bad, why is ZF used in almost every high performance vehicle in the world? I am not nor was I ever certified to work on tranny's, but I've raced more than one STOCK ZF without ANY complaint. I believe they were the first to use TI synchros.

Oh and in the Porsche world, the value of some 4 cyl models is shiat just because they have a porsche tranny instead of a zf.

Their autos have a bad rap here (states) especially in the rover shops as the techs were not allowed to rebuild them, only exchange.

j

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
are you talking about ZF transmissions in general or the ZF4HP22?

ZF (the company) makes some excellent transmissions. very excellent in fact. the ZF4HP22 is a decent transmission. it will stand up to power about as well as a stock 700R4 will, which is ok. i would not use one behind more than 300hp or 350lb ft, because of strength and heat related issues.

i wouldnt neccessarily swap one out, but i wouldnt swap one in, either.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
What are you guys on?

Swapping a diesel. Into a DSII.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a clueless technophobe when it comes to DSII so take this with a grain of salt.... But come on....

I seriously doubt that the electronics on this vehicle are built so that the entire engine management and control system can be removed and the transmission system kept. I am actually fairly cetain that it is most impossible to do so.

Secondly, even if you COULD, I don't think you realise the complexity of such a swap. The tranny can't be reused with most diesels because of the lower redline, and an auto behind a diesel may not be your best option. You may be able to get around the tranny issue by rebuilding it with diesel internals, but that's a whole lotta money, especially for a ZF.

SAE bellhousings are for industrial engines, so you can use all kinds of engines for different machines - you can put a cummins in a generator and replace the work out Detroit that it used before. It's not like that with cars. Chevy just happens to be similar to an SAE 3, and even then it's not a bolt in - you have to redrill the motor for the bowtie pattern.

Most diesels that aren't SAE will have odd bolt patterns that are specific to the vehicle in question. I doubt there's anything on the market with an SAE bellhousing pattern that's smooth enough or nice enough to justify putting it in a disco II. I think your only option is to buy an entire DSII with a 300 TDI and have the entire front half of the vehicle shipped over (with the addition of the diesel specific filler neck and gas tank/fuel pump etc). This is ridiculously expensive, legally impossible I believe (you may not care - I wouldn't, but...), and your insurance may freak if they find out.

It's just an opinion, but judging from what you're looking for (michelin XLs, diesel, etc) you might be better off with building a wheeler out of an older LR and keeping the DSII as a stocker/mild truck.

Just my 2 cents.

J-L

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Probably after seeing some of the cool non-electronic diesel conversions done at East Coast Rover it has some people scratching their heads. I bet there is a SAE designation to the Rover bellhousing and/or bolt pattern. What it is is a good question though!

For what it's worth, the guys at ECR will swap in a special gear box for a diesel even though the gas one has the same desigation...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to clarify, I'm not getting ready to pull my V8 and attempt to drop in a diesel. However, I keep my vehicles a long time, so I figure eventually it'll need a heart transplant. That's when I would consider the swap. It may not be feasible, but I'm the kind that likes to start gathering info before I need it. Besides, about 2 years ago I was told 285's weren't practical for a DII. :)

Not that I was breaking new ground in 4x4's, but at the time everyone was stopping at OME lifts and 265's. I just like being different (but that's not alway a good thing and gets expensive at times). Anyway, good info so far. Keep it coming, especially stuff like where the SA numbers came from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts