Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Other ?????

Votes: 2 9.1%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For you young pups, bench racin' is something you do when you are either broke, lazy, or weather blocked from working on a rig.
Josh & I were thinking of our trail project, I have the stuff to do D60 fr 14 bolt rear SM465/203/205 all but the adapter and putting it all together. Powered by a TBI 350.
I also traded for a mini rolling chassis, and a TBI Vortec 4.3, the 4.3 is one of the last TBI, it has the Vortec valve covers and the roller cam.....I have a Turbo 350 hooked up to a LC Tcase.
Also in the parts stash is a 425 Caddy motor and a T400/205.
Do I build a tube rig light and use the 4.3, or go heavy and 1 ton stuff?
If you vote tell me your reasoning.
Butch

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Other - Build em both. :D:D:D Come awn, how cool would that be?? OOPS I broke the lightweight one, Be right back......:evil:

Honestly, if it were me, I would go the light weight route. But just because I haven't gone that way before. It would be interesting to see what a set of waggoneer 44's, a light weight tube frame, a moderately small yet powerful motor, and a suspension/tire combo that would allow you to drive upside down like one of those tyco remote control cars, could do.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I have done the heavy thing. And for my next project it will be a 2500lb GPW :)

I wanna see the difference.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
i say build what you want ... do you want a light rock only rig made like a moon buggy or a BIG BAD @SS LAND CRUSHER ....:D and well if you dont want that d60 and 14bolt i'll take them off your hands.. :D

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
ohhhh....LS1....BONER!!

man, just put an LS1 in a big huge beef trail rig...man i love that kind, im just not much for the little go-karts.

hey nolen, i must say that is a beautiful avatar, you must have some excellent skills with that digi cam :p

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Mr McGee said:
ohhhh....LS1....BONER!!

man, just put an LS1 in a big huge beef trail rig...man i love that kind, im just not much for the little go-karts.

hey nolen, i must say that is a beautiful avatar, you must have some excellent skills with that digi cam :p

Actually I think he has wonderful luck with pretty women.
Both of them are dolls :)

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
other......

There are sooo many ways to cut this cake.
So many combos, it all depends on your type of wheelin, what you like, what you got.

If you got the goods to run 1 ton, do it.
Likewise with the mini stuff, but.......

Why not go the goofy route with a Mercedes diesel or some turbo variant that will run on old deep fried turkey grease, stout GM or Clark tranny, Atlas or doubler setup, maybe some M37 5.38 axles and a narrowed FJ something chassis and body.

I would go the bobbed and chopped FJ55 route, Caddy 501, SM465, doubler and some kind of tough axle, not neccesarily mogs, volvos or rockwells, just what works.

Tires, whatever I can get.
I got four grooved race truck tires with less than 20 miles on them for $150.00 at a SODA race.

I guess I am rambling, drinking the yellow beer, but that's what bench racing is all about

:flipoff2: :D

Attachments

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Re: other......

rugburn said:

I guess I am rambling, drinking the yellow beer, but that's what bench racing is all about

Bastard...

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I say go for the full tube frame and build it light using light volvo axles like Ken Blume (go2guy). Run a 4.3 v6 motor and stick in an auto box.

Charles

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
big and bad!...mostly cause thats what ill be doing eventually and think all this lightweight/shave as much weight as possible crap =:rainbow: plus since you have it, might as well use it..i'd go w/ the 4.3 then the sm465/doubler/ so you can have slighlyt more driveshaft length then w/ the V8..iff i could do it again, i'd put in a 4.3 and run a doubler! either way you do it, you gotta post progress pics

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
Light one seat rock buggy. I think the next rig I build will be a ground up tube buggy and just go light. I have even been thinking of an aluminum ricer motor…. or rotary then just gear it right.

Mark

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
i voted light tube buggy

here is my new machine: (or planned machine anyways) got all the parts, just a matter of putting it together

minitruck 1986 solid axle diesel frame, everything has been removed and 30" has been bobbed

cruiser front spring over, shacle reversal, cruiser springs and FJ60 shackle hangers, and greasable shackles from ARB

all alloy V8, hj60 axles front and rear, fj45 body panels, tube front and tube rear, and t18 gearbox and lt95 t-case :D

under 3200lbs? its gunna be close!

wheelbase: 107"
tyres: 42" super swamper TSLs
beadlocks, 4 wheel discs, arbs, on board air, buckets and 4 points, registered, but trailered everywhere, and only driven on the trails

·
Registered
410 Posts
Re: other......

rugburn said:

... and lookin' at those cute little disney statues by your monitor... Must be the wife's computer. :D

I say go light, Butch... We've seen enough 1 and 2.5 ton rigs out there. I think you'd be suprised how well that 4.3L will yank a light vehicle around compared to the awesome power-to-weight of the amazing 4.2L 2F... :flipoff2: :D

·
Old Rock Doc
1,782 Posts
I voted heavy. My rationale is that if you are planning to get into the competition scene, then the light tube buggy is definitely the way to go. If, however, the goal is more of a multipurpose hard-core trail rig, then heavy ass has some advantages.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
heavy can be advantageous, in that you can carry gear and spares, and have a general purpose trail rig, you can carry luxuries like food, and an esky (cooler) it can be reliable when loaded up and just trialriding

for comp:

light light light

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
BJ On Roids said:

for comp:

light light light
Light is even good on everyday trail riding...I was wheeling with a light, light CJ a few weeks ago and it would climb hills that my truck woud not climb.

Equal wheelbase....smaller tires......it spanked me good and it was GRAVITY that did it.....my pig is HEAVY!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts