Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jay,

Now that you've had your home-brew hydro bender up and runnig for a year or so, how do you like it? What would you do differently and would you still go home-brew or buy the kit from JD2? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Josh……Overall, have been very pleased with my bender. You might have seen on my web page where I did have to cut part of the box structure away to clear the large dies…..just a design mistake on my part. With that done, the height and configuration has worked well for me. The movement speed is reasonably slow which is good for someone like me that doesn’t have a lot of bending experience and doesn’t do it all the time.

The thing I really like about having the long ram is that I can bend greater than 90 degs in a single shot. However, I have never used the short ram setup where you have to repin so cannot really comment on how that compares. The hydro is nice because I can bend large tube with ease and does not require a ground anchor location.

If I had to do it again, I would probably do pretty much the same.

Jay

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay! I'll definitely be modeling my set-up after yours. Hopefully, I'll get the dimentions right so I'll end up as nice as a set-up as yours. Time to start saving my pennies for that pump!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Do you have an estimate on what hte parts cost you. If not i could look up all the numbers. I'm just lazy

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I PRETTY MUCH COPIED HIS ....A LITTLE DIFFERENT THO.

I USED ALL THE SAME PART ##S EXCEPT FOR THE HOSES.
I MOUNTED MY PUMP CLOSE TO THE GROUND TO KEEP IT FROM BEING TOP HEAVY.

THE HYDRO PARTS ARE ROUGHLY 6-7 BILLS .
THEN ELECTRICAL TOO.

I WIRED MINE SO I PLUG IN THE BENDER.

THEN I HAVE AN EXTRA 220 RECEPTICAL, AND TWO 110 RECEPTICALS, THEN AN ON OFF SWITCH TO RUN THE PUMP.

I WILL POST PICS WHEN I GET HOME IN A BIT

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
:flipoff2: :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
:eek: :D :)

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Ryan, that's a sweet set-up. do you have a "far away" shot of it? it looks like a simpler frame design than Jay's. any problems with it flexing? cheers :beer:

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
here ya go no probs with it flexing at all

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn Ryan, if I knew it'd be that quick n' easy to get a pic, I would've asked ya to just send me your stand :flipoff2: thanks for the pic. is that 3/8" or 1/2" your using for the plates?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Yeah, mine might be a bit overbuilt....but I wanted it sturdy
and used mostly stock I had lying around.

Hydro parts for mine were about $700.

Jay

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I USED 1/2 " PLATE. :flipoff2:

OH YEAH I NEVER THANKED YOU FOR THE WRITEUP............SO

THNX JAY........YOU SAVED ME A BUNCH OF TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO USE AND HOW TO SET IT UP...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks to both of ya for puttin' in all the work for those who follow in your footsteps (can you hear the violin in the backgound???) cheers and thanks for the input. once I get a job so I can buy the hyrdo stuff and some steel, I'll post my results.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Copied Jay. Works great:D It's plenty quick with the $15 1HP garage sale motor running a log splitter pump.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
While we are on the subject I need some info on a bender. I just looked at a hydro bender and the guy called it a "T" type. At the end of the ram there is a heavy piece of steel that has five holes on the left side and five on the right side. These holes are for the stops that the tubing is pushed up against and the ram has the die on the end of it and pushes the tube up through the center of these stops. Is anyone familier with this type of bender? It has a 2"x24" ram and dies up to 3 1/2" so I am sure it is strong enough. (yes I tried it out) Also when the motor is turned on it just hums but will start with a little spin of the fins on the back of it. Once it is up to speed it runs and sounds fine. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I am guessing it just need new a new starter? It is 110 if that matters.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Blue 84 said:
While we are on the subject I need some info on a bender. I just looked at a hydro bender and the guy called it a "T" type.
Does it look like one of those P.O.S. HF pipe benders?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts