Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.....it's time for a bender.....goin to get the model 3 jd squared....my question is about dies.....i've heard from numerous places to go ahead and get a 180* die....but what center line radius should i get (if i was to just start with one die set).....thanks for the help.....

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
zukiboy said:
ok.....it's time for a bender.....goin to get the model 3 jd squared....my question is about dies.....i've heard from numerous places to go ahead and get a 180* die....but what center line radius should i get (if i was to just start with one die set).....thanks for the help.....
From what I had read when I was shopping for a bender, people said to get the smaller radius dies. You can improvise and use a smaller radius more than you can a larger radius. The only problem with a smaller radius is that you can't easily bend thin wall tubing without distortion (we're talking thin stuff, less than .090).

I ended up going with a 1" 180* 3" radius and a 1.5" 180* 4.5" radius.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good.....the 1.5 180* 4.5 is what i was lookin at....i guess i'll just use .120 wall tube

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Re: Re: Bender

M.Martian said:

From what I had read when I was shopping for a bender, people said to get the smaller radius dies. You can improvise and use a smaller radius more than you can a larger radius. The only problem with a smaller radius is that you can't easily bend thin wall tubing without distortion (we're talking thin stuff, less than .090).

I ended up going with a 1" 180* 3" radius and a 1.5" 180* 4.5" radius.
Hey MM do you have a pic of a 90* or 180* bend with that 4.5? I bought the 5.5 and it hardly put's a mark on.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Bender

Bill4rest said:

Hey MM do you have a pic of a 90* or 180* bend with that 4.5? I bought the 5.5 and it hardly put's a mark on.
Most of the angles that I have done have been about 45* or less. I did do some 90* bends on a friend's bumper but don't have any pics of it. The bends came out nicely with no distortion at all.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
i bought a pro-tools model #105. i love it but if i buy another one it will be the pro-tools one shot. they're not that much more $$$ either.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bender

M.Martian said:

Most of the angles that I have done have been about 45* or less. I did do some 90* bends on a friend's bumper but don't have any pics of it. The bends came out nicely with no distortion at all.
Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a site that sells benders. I am a sophomore in college and I am working on my Business Management degree. I am considering starting my own off road shop. I have been looking into getting a bender. any suggestions??

Jon:confused:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
bronc_crwlr said:
Does anyone have a link to a site that sells benders. I am a sophomore in college and I am working on my Business Management degree. I am considering starting my own off road shop. I have been looking into getting a bender. any suggestions??

Jon:confused:
I've got the JD2 model 3 bender from JD Squared Mine is a manual bender, but I can always convert it to hydro if I want to. The base I made for mine mounts into the receiver hitch on my truck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
M.Martian said:

I've got the JD2 model 3 bender from JD Squared Mine is a manual bender, but I can always convert it to hydro if I want to. The base I made for mine mounts into the receiver hitch on my truck.
What all have you used it for??

-Jon:confused:

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
JD2 is a good bender to start with. I like mine.

Roll cages/nerfs.... if it is made of tube you can make it with the JD2 oh and if you use the search button you'll fine a plethora of info on benders:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bill4rest said:
if you use the search button you'll fine a plethora of info on benders:D
:D I know I just had a quick question and I am done thanks for the info sorry about the recap of bender info:D

-Jon:confused:

·
Registered
284 Posts
You're going to love the JD2 bender. We run the model 4 with the hydraulic attachment. Not only is it really easy to work with, its damn fun too!

A buddy of ours run the same bender but rigged up his oiwn hydraulic setup with a power steerung pump from a dumptruck. Claimed it saved him hundreds.

I have several die sets for ours and have always purchased the smallest radius available for any of them. The small radius dies seem to work very well for us and the stuff we bend. I'd deinfetely lean toward the tiughter radius over large.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts