Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys/gals bend your tube our pipe do you place the welded seam any curtain direction..

If your doing a 90* bend would you place the weld away from the die our towards the die??

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
THe seam goes on the inside of the bend, so that the bender pinches it together. If it were on the outside, the bender would be attempting to pull the seam open...

Although nothing USUALLY happens, the outside of the bend is going to be the weakest, thinnest part of the tube. You don't want the already weak seam to be in the same spot. :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I think the best idea is to put as little stress on the seam as possible - outside = tensile stress ; inside = compressive stress.

The best place for the seam is close to perpendicular to the bend. Rotate the tube so the seam is about 10 degrees towards the inside of the bend from the bend axis. This area experiences the least ammount of compressing or expanding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The best place for the weld is up or down. This is 1/4 turn from the dies. IE not faceing or away. This puts less stress on the weld. The lower stress on the weld the better. The weld is the harder material in welded tube or pipe and gets the least ammount of tension or compression when at the side of the bend. This info comes from years as an ironworker, and now the biotech industry. Miles and miles of bent tube and pipe.

Cheers :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
That makes sense to me. I will try that next time I have to bend up some tube. I haven't bent up a cage yet so this is good info to think about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts