Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i am building a rectangular fuel cell, my plans are to cut a sheet of 14g steel I have laying around into a large plus sign with the center being the bottom of the tank, fold up the four sides and weld it up (I may weld a piece of 1x1 angle in each upright corner too for strength and to seal it better. My question is, since my neighbor can't brake something like this...how would you go about folding all the sides up? The normal methods for a flat sheet won't work because of the four sides... Any tips? Anyone else made one like this? I really want as few welds as possible.

Attachments

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
The tank I had proffesionaly made was made out of two Cs.

One C is the back wall and each end. The other is the front wall and the top and bottom.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Old Scout said:
The tank I had proffesionaly made was made out of two Cs.

One C is the back wall and each end. The other is the front wall and the top and bottom.
:idea:

Clever.

-t

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about doing it that way, but that would require the bottom to be welded, and would make it harder to add baffles, pickups, etc. That may be the way I end up going, but I'd surely like to see if it's possible to build basically a box first then just weld the top on.

·
Vendor
2,594 Posts
You will need to use a box brake with fingers or a commercial brake that most precision sheet metal shops have. With a tooling configuration to match (or be slightly shorter than) the longest side of the box, bend the short sides first and then bend the long sides.

Depending on your radius you may want to remove some material in the corners for bending relief.

In reality there will be about the same amount of welding using your method vs. the 2 "C" shape method. In the case of your box style there are 4 bends and 8 welds (assuming you are going to put a top on it) and in the case of a "C" shape there is also 4 bends and 8 welds.

The other reason for using the "C" shape is to reduce material cost and reduce manufacturing time of cutting the blanks. You can also bend the metal with any brake using the "C" shape.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
braxton357 said:
I thought about doing it that way, but that would require the bottom to be welded, and would make it harder to add baffles, pickups, etc. That may be the way I end up going, but I'd surely like to see if it's possible to build basically a box first then just weld the top on.
well you could clamp the bend line to the edge of your work table, using uniform stregth across the line, rosebud it with a torch, and then bend.

Kinda *******, but it would work for a corner. I would go with the two c's so you could bend with this "technique"

j

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
the two "c"s would be your preffered method. you'll have trouble finding a box/pan brake with big enough fingers to form something as deep as a cell, and with a conventional straight brake (hydro one like in a fab shop) you would probably hit the top of the press as it formed up...

just my $.02 USD

·
Registered
697 Posts
I made my cell out of 16 gauge and bent it up myself with the same pattern you are going to use. The trick to bending it square is to score the steel first. I used my plasma cutter and ran it quickly down each of the bend lines. You could do the same thing with a cutting wheel on a grinder. I ran a bead over it for strength once it was bent up. works great. :smokin:

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
could build a wooded box the size of the bottom of the tank and screw it down and then bend each side over till it was the shape you need. if wood is to flexible could use steel tubing.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
with the 2 c method you could still add pickups and baffles

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Po' riggity said:
with that setup, isnt all your fuel gonna slosh out of the tank, since there's not a top on it??

:flipoff2:
Scott

Plastic bag. Sounds like the fuel system on your heep no? :flipoff2:

I'll look at doing the two c method, I guess I'll just hafta have someone use a shear to cut my junk though since I doub't I'd be able to have it all line up cutting it myself. I won't be using any sealer either, just making sure it's welded airtight first. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ive been following this as I need/want to make a custom fuel cell. My question is what size sheet are you guys using? I have access to a bunch of stainless sheet scrap that is used in muffler bodys. Would that stuff be too thin to try and make a cell out of? Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Know what guage it is? I'm using 14g, but I've read of guys using 16, 18, and even 20...and while al and steel guages aren't the same thicknesses, stainless and mild are.

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
braxton357 said:
Plastic bag. Sounds like the fuel system on your heep no? :flipoff2:

I'll look at doing the two c method, I guess I'll just hafta have someone use a shear to cut my junk though since I doub't I'd be able to have it all line up cutting it myself. I won't be using any sealer either, just making sure it's welded airtight first. Thanks for all the help guys.
I wish I had the luxury of a plastic bag.. I just gotta let it slosh LOL..
Scott

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
braxton357 said:
Know what guage it is? I'm using 14g, but I've read of guys using 16, 18, and even 20...and while al and steel guages aren't the same thicknesses, stainless and mild are.
Hmm, this stuff is 23 or 24 gage, dont think it will work to well then. Whadda ya think?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts