Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm working on converting a 97 F250 to 4wd.

I picked up a wrecked 95 F350 last year and parted it. It hit a car with the right front tire shearing the spring center pin off, kinking the frame and (now I find out, bending the axle 5/16")

Does anyone have a hobbiest way of straightening the housing or a suggestion of a local show in NE PA or Western NJ that can straighten it?

·
Premium Member
8,744 Posts
I straightened one once that was bent pretty badly. Machined up some pucks to fit the ends of the axle tubes and also where the diff bearings mount. had a 1" or 1.25" hole in each puck. Then I slid a shaft of the same diameter into the end and used a hydraulic press to press the housing straight until I could slide the shaft all the way through all 4 pucks. Dunno how "hobbyist" that is to you, but that's the kind of shit I'm used to.

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
weld some real hot beads along the high side of the bend on the tube, like 1/8" 7018 at 170a or so, along the length of the tube

they'll pull that side of the tube shorter and the bend out of it

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
5/16" isn't all that much, and you could weld to get it to pull back, but you might make it worse or have a hard time seeing where to put it without a proper truing bar set. The set consists of a long, straight steel bar and two round pieces with holes in the middle for the bar to pass through. The two round pieces are bolted in where your carrier bearings ride, and you can tell how far off it is by looking at the bar and where it comes out of the ends of the tube.

From there, hyraulic power and some sort of frame are used to push and pull things back into place, and maybe some welding. Realistically, if you ever weld your tubes to the diff housing, you should probably have this done.

A lot of racers and wheelers are probably rolling around on axles that are bent to some degree. You try to weld the tubes evenly to prevent that, but years of abuse, heavy loading, wheeling, etc. makes things move. To me if it's visible, it ought to go to a shop with the tools that I don't have. If you have some machining equipment you could probably turn some pucks and find a straight bar to make your own truing kit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys. I was not sure if 5/16 was a lot or not. And in reality There has to be A LOT of axle that are out there bent that are still in use.

I was thinking about straightening like mentioned in a press, but I dont have the pucks or access to any machinery to make them with any real precision

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,542 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
weld some real hot beads along the high side of the bend on the tube, like 1/8" 7018 at 170a or so, along the length of the tube

they'll pull that side of the tube shorter and the bend out of it
Parellel or 90* to the tube?

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
'along the length of the tube' is pretty clear to me, maybe it seems like I'm saying to scab on weld on the unbent portion? w/e

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
'along the length of the tube' is pretty clear to me, maybe it seems like I'm saying to scab on weld on the unbent portion? w/e
OK, thats fine but thats not what you originally said.

I am working on getting a shaft and collars made to fit the carrier caps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts