Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search for this but i cant find a search button?

I have a 80 F100 and was told that I could swap to F150 beams and van coils and get 15' of travel?

I am trying to find some info on this mod..I heard the beams have to be bent as well?

Anyone know anthing about this?

Thanks

BTW the truck is 2wd not TTB

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
van coils

my 73 2wd had e250 springs ( early 80 i think - longer and higher rate ) and bent beams - with factory E150 radius arms that i extended 12 " - with 12 " rancho 5000 - i had almost 12 " at the tire - was hard to control in the wooptys - due to the mostly stock steering ( only a napa stabilizer ) - had a 1 1/8 " sway bar with 3/4 heims - 33x12.5 - fun truck - untill i killed it at the drags - ( twice - once was the c6 - then the 428cj broke a piston - still have the truck - but no $ ) :smokin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not to worried about the travel. I did a more looking around and found thay people have done this with some decent results. Most have said that they limited the travel to a little less then 14 inches because of the control issue. Also this requires custom shock mounting to get full travel.

This is what I want to do for a cheap start. But I still cant find any info on

Where to bend the beam and How much?

Anyone got that info?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could just use Autofab springs. They've done all the work and dialed in the spring rate so you don't have to. Their kits are good for 16" of wheel travel.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
hard to find

not many shop bend beams any more - most told me to buy a lift kit - then called like 20 shops and found this little hole in the wall shop that an older guy ( sorry ) worked at - he had bent tons of beams and had my truck bent and alinged in under 2 hours - it was worth the $150 and the 6 pack i got him -:flipoff2: had around $500 in total - junkyard parts - new shocks - stabilizer - alignment - and some tube / welding leftovers -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts