Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just retubed the HP60 housing I have been sitting on for a while.. the long tube was bent when I got it so I retubed.. come to find out the housing itself is bent :eek: ... Now what can I do to correct this? Its pretty bad bent you can easily see that the tubes are no where near straight!

HELP!!!! :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's junk, sell it for scrap. I'd take it off your hands.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Depends how bad it is bent. Is there a problem with the carrier, or is it just bent where the tube enters?

If it is just the tube that is out of alignment, I'll tell you what I did with my axle. I think I had a bent tube. It was probably bent about 1/4" or less. I took the lower kingpin bearing race out and shimmed it down with 2 washers. I also had to grind part of the upper C to clear the knuckle. It returned my outer axle shaft to the center of the spindle. Maybe it could work for you.

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
heat it straighten it bore c out weld in place with a jig bar and it will be ok for trail trash :D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Firts I would see if I could get the gears to set up and if so then use some heat to streighten out the tube and jig weld the ends on and call it good. All housings are bent some if they have some miles on them.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like the part where the tube goes in is bent.. I am making this a HP60 REAR using 14 bolt spindles... But it is BAD the offset can not be made up inside the tube.. :(

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I had a bent 60 and eventually just said f-it and went and found another. What you need to figure out is if the side bearing race surfaces are parallel or not. If they aint then it's an anchor, if they are then you are still in luck and may just have some bent tubes in it.
I have heard of the housing being straightened, but I wonder if it is really a strong fix, or if it will need some serious truss action to repair the damage
I would say call around to some axle shops and see if you can find someone who can attempt to staighten it, if not time to start hunting.

bummer dude

·
Registered
891 Posts
Check your PM.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
yeah make sure the gears set up and check to see if the machined surfaces that the outside of the bearing cups rest against are parallel. often these need to be remachined. Goat 1 on the board has done this.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i've read somewhere that the interference fit between the diff and the tube is 6 to 10 thous. that is kind of big difference, can anyone confirm any thing more specific.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts