Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched many threads and got bits and peices of info on people's bent links. So I decided to ask all you to bring your information that you have about bent links here for 2 reasons- so I can see if its worth building on my rig and for the next person that searches for a bent link specific thread.

So what did you use to make them?
Are they strong enough how you made them?
How many degrees did you bent the tube?
Any bad things to know about or to avoid with bent links?

Lets see how much the pirates can dish out!

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
bent links are usually :rainbow:

makes them that much easier to bend

I plan on using a link that matches the bending moment from a rock

that way they are light and strong so i don't have to worry about breaking them

here is the shape

<>

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Don't believe the shit that some folks on this board are going to dish out over these things. Very few of them are willing to try something new. I think they're worth trying. I used to have them on mine but I had to redo my suspension in a short period and didn't have time to redo bent links. WMS uses them successfully as does someone else on this board. You have to brace them. The whole point is to get them out of the rocks and out of harm's way so that they don't come in contact. So as long as they can support your rig and torque load, that's all you should have to worry about.

Here were some problems I had to deal with with mine, which were bent at 35* and had WAY WAY to much bend in them: As the axle flexed the tops would travel into the frame/body. (Actually, they didn't because I designed my tube work around that fact.) They will also flop from side to side if you don't use some bushings at one end to keep them upright.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
patooyee said:

As the axle flexed the tops would travel into the frame/body.

(Actually, they didn't because I designed my tube work around that fact.)
J. J.
So they hit but they didn't? :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear as to what I was trying to say. I was just trying to say that something needs to be done to prevent that or it would happen.

J. J.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts