Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CrawlTunes
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a heck of a time gettin' one of the shafts out of my rear 2.5 ton axle. today I noticed it looked a little bent. When I took measurements across the top of the brake drums and the bottom of the brake drums it was off by an inch. I've called a couple of truck and trailer places but nobody wants to mess with it.

I'm pretty sure it's just the one side tube the other looks good and staight. I guess it doesn't have to be perfect since it's a straight up mud truck, but the way it is now I can't fit the axle shaft back in.

I know rockwell rears are a dime a dozen but I'm seein' if there's an easy fix. Is it worth trying heating it and using a bottle jack and chain?

...Does anyone know where I can get a rear 2.5 ton axle for cheap in southeast TX/southwest LA? I just need the housing, but spare parts never hurt.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Wow, bent rockwell... I wonder if it's even possible to bend a rockwell in 4x4 application. (non-mil. carrying application).

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You could try laying a hot, fat weld on whichever side of the housing has ben stretched. That should correct it somehwat...

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
A machine shop with a big ass press is probably your best bet. Something a 100 ton press ought to do the job. Just leave them the shaft and they should be able to tweak it back into reasonable shape so the axle shaft can be reinstalled. Might also drop Steve Gerstner a line.... he could probably help you out, but shipping that fawker back and forth would probably cost more than "new" housing.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off topic.

I read a bunch of threads now.... what's the chance my buggy's gonna float? 49's on 20's though.... it should be pretty light. oh man if it floats I'm gonna have a blast at fordyce lol

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
I saw a buggy here local that a guy built on a dodge frame with 1-ton axles and 49's. A little tube work and some sheet metal. It didn't bob up and down in the water, but if he dug out the ruts and the water was deep enough, when he let off the gas and the tires stopped the damn thing would rise up a few inches. Kinda like a 4-wheeler with like 29" tires.

·
Registered
322 Posts
if you know any one that has a front for a reasonable price ill pick it up and sell you my rear (non steer) i live in lumberton. let me know if even if you dont need mine, i need rear steer.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have a bare housing. I bought it for the chunk and hubs for my front. If you want it I will ship from Richmond, VA. $50 plus shipping.

Sean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts