Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... How does one go about bending a pinion? I never felt anything as being odd but it bent and wore out my rear seal causing it to leak.. that leak was masked by a tranny leak soooo my rear end burned up cause the rear leak was not caught.

NO I dont hope tall buildings with a single bound and a crash landing. I wheel, well used to, Rubicon and simular a few times a year and daily driver rest of time. I have not done little sluice but I've done close to that in difficulty. It's a daily driver and only driver if that helps you understand my level of hardcore. I have a CV drive shaft and 4:1 w/456 gears, and 35" MTR's

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JEEPRZ:
<STRONG>Id be more inclined to believe the bearings went out, or the nut came loose.</STRONG>
the guy working on my axil says the pinion is bent... are u saying the bearings going out or loose nut is what might have bent it?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
No, the bearings or loose nut would not bend the pinion, but the excessive play in the bearings would cause the pinion to move around and destroy the seal.

I would believe the situation much more than a bent pinion.
Pinions are short and thick, and handle rotational torque. They are not subjected to any side loads that would cause them to bend. Pinions are pretty hard steel, they do not like to bend.
If the pinion is actually bent, I would bet on it being a factory defect, that just now showed up, but that would not be likely.

Considering you did not find the problem till after the diff burned up, is it possible the pinion was bent when the diff went out?
Another thing to consider. Is the mechanic working on your axle now, the same guy who set it up? Could he be blaming this failure on the bent pinion, when in fact it could be a faulty set up on his part?
I am not triing to step on toes here, but these questions need to be asked.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robert said:
..........Considering you did not find the problem till after the diff burned up, is it possible the pinion was bent when the diff went out?
I was driving down the highway and nothing major happend I just heard some grinding and felt the rear was slipping. Dont think it bent then. No THUD or nothin. I immedadiately crawled underneath... saw a steaming rear end in the rain... and spent the next several hours under it in shit rain pulling the drive shaft. The bolts in the CV end were a little buggered so it took a while.

Another thing to consider. Is the mechanic working on your axle now, the same guy who set it up? Could he be blaming this failure on the bent pinion, when in fact it could be a faulty set up on his part?
I am not triing to step on toes here, but these questions need to be asked.

Valid question but different mechanic on other side of country.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Interesting.

I talked with several experts at my shop today, and everybody agreed that it would be nearly impossible for the pinion to bend on its own, but if the diff burned up, it may have deformed under the heat. Like I said, gear metal like to break, not bend, unless you get it very hot.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robert said:
Interesting.

I talked with several experts at my shop today, and everybody agreed that it would be nearly impossible for the pinion to bend on its own, but if the diff burned up, it may have deformed under the heat. Like I said, gear metal like to break, not bend, unless you get it very hot.
Leave it to me to do something impossible! So ur saying odds are it's a product defect?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
pinions do bend from excessive axle wrap. Most of the time, though they break. Is your rig s/o w/ stock springs? Ever hop when you're stuck?:fj:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aggro said:
pinions do bend from excessive axle wrap. Most of the time, though they break. Is your rig s/o w/ stock springs? Ever hop when you're stuck?:fj:
coil don't hop to often and I almost NEVER do!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
No, I was saying I think the pinion may have bent due to excessive heat. You have too many miles with out a failure for this to be a manufacturer's defect.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robert said:
No, I was saying I think the pinion may have bent due to excessive heat. You have too many miles with out a failure for this to be a manufacturer's defect.
Otay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts