Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So most people have probably seen these....

http://www.berettausa.com/products/cx4-storm/

My guess is its just a 92FS basically crafted into a rifle. Does anyone have one of these or have any pictures of whats under the front hand guard?

I've been really considering one of these because i have a metric crap ton of 92FS mags and Im wondering if itd be possible to cut the barrel down to 5.5" (legally or course), open up the front of that foregrip and recesses a suppressor in that thing. Would way cheaper than a 9mm AR, I absolutely love my 92FS and the way it works, and I can get 30 round 92FS mags all day long.... not to mention, itd be different for sure!

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Had one, it was a fun little thing but I didn't care for it all that much. The BHO/slide release sucks to work without the rifle being shouldered. It (like 99% of pistol cal. AR's) is blowback operated, so it's much heavier than it looks and the bcg is just a gigantic chunk of steel.

Farthest I've seen one cut down is the front of the forend obviously. You need to make your own socket in order to get the barrel out of the upper. Also, I believe if you add any "evil" features that you're screwed because nobody makes US parts in order to make it 922r compliant.

Beretta makes them compliant w/different mags by using different inserts in the grip. I modified my insert and added a secondary catch to a bunch of SA XD mags so that the CX4 would fire from both. They worked flawlessly and engaged the LRBHO.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
I've got one - enjoy it too. Between my friends we have one in 9mm, another in .40 and two in .45. They shoot nice, are completely ambidextrous in the charging handle and exit port.

I've got a local gunsmith in the area that is looking into making the wrenches and possibly offering threaded barrels...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
possibly offering threaded barrels...
It's been a while since I looked into threading the barrel on mine, but again, IIRC you run into 922r compliance issues once you add evil features, so you might want to be a bit careful.

EDIT: I believe there was a thread on here laughing at Rick Perry because he had a CX4 with a can on it that was technically illegal since it had a threaded barrel.

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Won't come out that much cheaper than the AR. They are out of stock everywhere I looked, second they would be $775 shipped to your dealer.

They are fun little guns, but not for $800. You can build a 9mm AR for ~$900 that runs on $10 Uzi mags and is much easier to find aftermarket for.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
It's been a while since I looked into threading the barrel on mine, but again, IIRC you run into 922r compliance issues once you add evil features, so you might want to be a bit careful.

EDIT: I believe there was a thread on here laughing at Rick Perry because he had a CX4 with a can on it that was technically illegal since it had a threaded barrel.
I could care less about 922r shit - I shoot in my backyard...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I could care less about 922r shit - I shoot in my backyard...
So breaking laws that you deem arbitrary is ok as long as it's in your back yard right? :shaking:

My bad for trying to warn the OP and you about the potential legalities/illegalities regarding planned modifications. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
So breaking laws that you deem arbitrary is ok as long as it's in your back yard right? :shaking:

My bad for trying to warn the OP and you about the potential legalities/illegalities regarding planned modifications. :rolleyes:
Notice how I used the letter "I" signifying that me, alone, is included in that post, nobody else.

FYI - as this thread is full of fun facts, BATF has said in the past that 10 foreign made parts in the CX4 as imported. If someone was to be so concerned with a law that has not ever been enforced, one could simple replace the trigger, spring, or any other offered aftermarket part to stay in compliance.

*technically* inserting a larger magazine than provide with fromt he factory would violate 922r compliance... Nobody has ever done that before..... :shaking:

922r is more of a tack-on law anyway - beyond that, somebody would have to specifically know, just by looking at something, that it is non 922r compliant. Who knows what's inside it, it could be fully legit - YMMV.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
if it were SBR'd on a stamp doesn't that negate the 922R requirements? I didn't think it applied to NFA stuff, but might be totally wrong/.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts

1: 922r applies to manufactures only
2: SBRing it would exempt it anyway
3: Ever heard of ANYONE arrested for 922r?

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

1: 922r applies to manufactures only
2: SBRing it would exempt it anyway
3: Ever heard of ANYONE arrested for 922r?
I dont even know what 922R is... Im guessing this thing is manufactured in Italy rather than the USA and 922 has something to do with it being imported?

Personally, I just think it would be really cool because no one I know has one. But ya... If I cant cut the barrel down to 5.5" and recess the suppressor on it... then its a mute point and I wont get it. The whole purpose of shortening it to 5.5 is because I want to keep factory 147gr ammo sub-sonic.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
922 relates to the importation of evil features on rifles like pistol grips and hi cap mags. Anything non sporting.

same reason that saigas are imported sans pistol grips.

once you add an evil feature you are verboten to have a certain number of foreign parts. They must be replaced with US made parts so it is no longer an "imported" rifle.

just more stupid from the ATF. It's not like it stops anybody.

decent googly link:
http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts