Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 307 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Do you ever feel like they are lacking traction? I know more aggressive tires like iroks CAN dig, but I feel like more open tread can help a lot with traction.
absolutely! I think in some snow types, its what makes them shine cause they wont dig. looking forward to seeing how they do in the wet soft spring snow

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
absolutely! I think in some snow types, its what makes them shine cause they wont dig. looking forward to seeing how they do in the wet soft spring snow
Maybe our snow is more different than I thought, in my experience, 9 out of 10 times, when you don't have traction you aren't going anywhere.

Spring snow is even more dependent on traction.

·
P.B.A.
4,345 Posts
to follow up on this thread - IMO the best 38-40" SNOW tire is the 38x15.5R15 Interco Trxus STS Radial or 39.5x15R15 Interco Trxus STS Bias ply depending on weight of vehicle and axle size
Yeah I’ve talked with guys that have ran these. And I can see in some circumstances them kicking ass. I used to wheel with a guy who ran Mickey Thompson Baja belteds. They kicked ass in the deep stuff if the conditions were perfect. Again this thread is about the best ALL AROUND tire in the snow. These just aren’t it.

I agree with above comment most radial tires aired down 2-3 lbs. sidewalls broken in will do pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Yeah I’ve talked with guys that have ran these. And I can see in some circumstances them kicking ass. I used to wheel with a guy who ran Mickey Thompson Baja belteds. They kicked ass in the deep stuff if the conditions were perfect. Again this thread is about the best ALL AROUND tire in the snow. These just aren’t it.

I agree with above comment most radial tires aired down 2-3 lbs. sidewalls broken in will do pretty well.
here in central WA, the STS is THE tire to run

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
So I've heard these are the best snow tires ever made

Got 5 for next to nothing in a trade, 38 radials, they look damn near new. I'm not sure where they have been for the last 20 years, but whatever.

Anything I need to know?

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
You dirty dawg!!! Looking forward to seeing how they do. I’d run them as is at first and see how you like them then start grooving from there. What width are they and what wheels/beadlocks you going to mount them on?

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Pretty sure they are 15.5s

I'd like to put them on some 15x12s but what I have is some 15x9s.....

I put a wanted ad up for some 15x12s, so we'll see.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
15x12s and duct tape :smokin:
Well they say 15.5, the tread is like 11" and sidewall bubble to bubble at 25 lbs is like 14" :laughing: they looked perfect on the 10s they came on so I mounted them on my 9.5" beadlocks with a little tape on the inside :flipoff2:

1998 called and they want their tires and wheels back :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Any new info?

Curious about some of the 40" radials

Nittos Trail grapplers (these have been out for a while, but I have yet to see them perform in the snow)

Procomp mt2 (saw a guy with them yesterday, he said they were at 4 and looked like they were bagging pretty good, they also looked like they were getting good traction with the sipes in the tread)

Cooper st or whatever?

Maxxis razr?
I have the Procomp MT2's on my 4Runner (40's). Went out last Sunday and started out at 8psi. As you all know, it wasn't low enough. Dropped down to 5 and it was a major improvement. Probably could have dropped another pound or two, but it was going everywhere I pointed it and was able to pull a friend out a time or two very easily. Sorry no action shots and this area was beat down by snowmobiles, but I was the first rig up there.

Specs on 4Runner so that everyone has an idea for their purposes:
4.3, R151, dual cases, 60 front/70 rear, 6.17's. I ended up using all of the gears at various times do to the changes in the snow. I could get on top of it in most places, but occasionally would sink, so back to stupid low, idle, and it would pop back up out of the hole and continue forward.

These are still fairly new with only a couple of runs on them, so they should get better with use, but I was very impressed with how they performed.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Nice soft top........I have to sleep on the F***'n snow.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Well they say 15.5, the tread is like 11" and sidewall bubble to bubble at 25 lbs is like 14" :laughing: they looked perfect on the 10s they came on so I mounted them on my 9.5" beadlocks with a little tape on the inside :flipoff2:

1998 called and they want their tires and wheels back :flipoff2:

Looks awesome man, let us know how they work out. Sierras are supposed to get hammered with snow next week

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know you have already gotten what you were looking for but I have to chime in that I have had good results with the STS radials but I dont think I have been in snow like your running.

I clicked link for those AT405 artic tires and it hit me where I have seen tires like that locally. Tractor had these on it in the 320-70r20 size and I joked about running them for snow tires.

Galaxy Garden Pro R-3+

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
I know you have already gotten what you were looking for but I have to chime in that I have had good results with the STS radials but I dont think I have been in snow like your running.

I clicked link for those AT405 artic tires and it hit me where I have seen tires like that locally. Tractor had these on it in the 320-70r20 size and I joked about running them for snow tires.

Galaxy Garden Pro R-3+
where you snow wheel and what size STS have you ran?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've mainly just wheeled on friends farm and few local trails here in MD and OH when I lived out there, I also had STS's on my dd for a few winters. I have ran 33x12.50, 35x12.50 and 36x14.50 all on 16 rims.

I ran the 35 and 36 on a 97 tacoma reg cab 4cyl and the 33's on a 99 ram 2500 with snow plow.

241 - 260 of 307 Posts