Pirate 4x4 banner

261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Pretty disappointed in the cepecks. Just like I thought, they have shit for traction. Yes they air down amazing and float well. As long as you are on flat ground or going down hill :shaking:

I couldn't go up hills that a Toyota on almost completely bald 39.5 iroks could.

Maybe it's the age, I don't know. They don't fell hard though.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
From what I recall back in the day, my buddy ran those that ere 44's. They were good floaters, and good on the flat and mild stuff. Not as good as Gumbo's (a mud tread tire) when things got a little ugly or off camber, hilly etc. This was on the same truck. He was a tire hoarder and had several different tire sets and he tried them all.

Overall at that time the Gumbo's did better where we were. Cepeks weren't that bad though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
saw a set of cooper stt pros 40s they felt soft even when cold nice soft sidewall he was running a 2005 4runner also had a buddy with him that had a runner also, he had 40 procomps they felt good also, anyone ran either in the white stuff

·
P.B.A.
4,328 Posts
saw a set of cooper stt pros 40s they felt soft even when cold nice soft sidewall he was running a 2005 4runner also had a buddy with him that had a runner also, he had 40 procomps they felt good also, anyone ran either in the white stuff
I saw the procomps on an lj with 5.3 and tons. They squat decent I’d expect them to do just as well as my mtrk’s. Owner said they wore really well and were quiet. He wasn’t much of a snow wheeler so he couldn’t compare them to others.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
I've wheeled with both and they both do very well in the snow. honestly, I don't know if any one tire out performs the others in the radial 40" category (17" wheel) - they all do well.

wish they made a 40X14.5R17 Interco radial STS though :smokin::smokin:

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I was going to start a new thread but this kinda fits here.

Is there any noticeable difference when running the 17's vs. 15's as far as the contact patch etc. ?

I'm talking about old school 15" Iroks vs a 17" both same size tire like a 39" tall one. I've been a diehard 15" guy because I am older etc. but I'd like to run some 40" radials and those would be hard to find in 15's!

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I was going to start a new thread but this kinda fits here.

Is there any noticeable difference when running the 17's vs. 15's as far as the contact patch etc. ?

I'm talking about old school 15" Iroks vs a 17" both same size tire like a 39" tall one. I've been a diehard 15" guy because I am older etc. but I'd like to run some 40" radials and those would be hard to find in 15's!
I personally hated my 39.5 iroks on 15s, they just folded over on themselves on any kind of side hill.

IMO <38s 15s
>38s 17s

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
you'll be happy, that's a good deal on a good tire
I'm excited to have a year round tire again. The 40s should be about perfect. I know the pitbulls would have done better in snow and rocks, but they were just to big for my rig. The 38 mtrk's served thier purpose for the summer, but kinda suck with the 60s in the rocks and I'm sure would have sucked in the snow also.

I'm trying to sell them if anyone is looking, they'd probably be a great snow tire for a rig on Toyotas or D44s.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
I'm excited to have a year round tire again. The 40s should be about perfect. I know the pitbulls would have done better in snow and rocks, but they were just to big for my rig. The 38 mtrk's served thier purpose for the summer, but kinda suck with the 60s in the rocks and I'm sure would have sucked in the snow also.

I'm trying to sell them if anyone is looking, they'd probably be a great snow tire for a rig on Toyotas or D44s.
you going to groove the pro comps?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Personally, I am beginning to believe the old timers who say there is no perfect tire for snow. Every situation is different and the snow can change so much from hour to hour, that no tire can do it all.

Sometimes you need to float, sometimes you need to dig. Sometimes you need the tire to hold on to the snow for better traction and sometimes you need it to clean out so you can dig a trail.

I don't think you can go wrong with a good aggressive radial that is as big as you can fit under your rig.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I think the key statement is the last line Willd420. Big and radial. That has been my experience for a long time. Just big and radial.....and not a Toyo LOL.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Hey guys. Let’s keep this going. And get some opinions on current tires available, including 42s.

I’m looking for a 40 or 42 for my Tacoma that will really perform in the snow. I need to float better. A wider meat than my current 40x13.5r17 would probably help me a lot. If I could fit it, I would get a 46 claw. But I can’t.

Anyone been using the 42x14.5 17 MTR-K with or without grooving?

I’m having a helluva time keeping up with these little lightweight snow rigs wearing 38x15.5 grooved mud grapplers...

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I have only seen one set of 42 mtr/k's in the snow and for whatever reason they never seemed to do that great.

Hands down, I'd get 41.5 pit bulls they are killer in just about everything. They are tall too, I think they were almost 3" taller than my buddies 42 Iroks.

If it's snow only the other tire I'd look at is 41 Radial Iroks, they are pretty terrible in rocks and are easy to pop.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I just need a winter only tire. I have separate tires for the summer.

I have only seen one set of 42 mtr/k's in the snow and for whatever reason they never seemed to do that great.

Hands down, I'd get 41.5 pit bulls they are killer in just about everything. They are tall too, I think they were almost 3" taller than my buddies 42 Iroks.

If it's snow only the other tire I'd look at is 41 Radial Iroks, they are pretty terrible in rocks and are easy to pop.
I’m not sure I can do anything to shave weight off this truck either. Maybe a bit in the back. But the front is just an 8k winch, minimalist bumper, basic tube work to mount the body parts to. Rear has lots of tube which I might remove and put a bed back on. Just these axles are big heavy fuckers. SD60 front and 14 bolt rear. But this truck was 5300 lbs on 35s and ifs.

I’m quite curious now I’m going to go scale it tonight and find out exactly what it weighs now.
Edit- 5750 lbs fully loaded. Theres with a lot of tools and spare parts in the truck.

261 - 280 of 307 Posts