Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
What's not on the list, but probably should be are PB Rockers. Any real world comparisons between Rockers and Iroks? From what I've read, those are the two top dogs for <44". I'm planning on new tires this summer and am undecided between 42" bias or 41.5" radial Rockers vs Iroks. With a price of $2k+ for a set, it's a serious decision.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
What's not on the list, but probably should be are PB Rockers. Any real world comparisons between Rockers and Iroks? From what I've read, those are the two top dogs for <44". I'm planning on new tires this summer and am undecided between 42" bias or 41.5" radial Rockers vs Iroks. With a price of $2k+ for a set, it's a serious decision.
I've run both. I won't say that one was necessarily better than the other, but the 42" pbr is bigger than the 42" irok. I would take a radial over a bias tire, any day.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Not a fan of rockers whatsoever. They are heavy, expensive and have weak sidewalls. Weren't on my list for a reason.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Not a fan of rockers whatsoever. They are heavy, expensive and have weak sidewalls. Weren't on my list for a reason.
I have run nearly every popular tire and have been the first test mule (locally) on a few. I can't say that I've ever come across a tire with a "weak sidewall." From reading this site and watching koh over the years I have heard the generalizations that many popular tires have "weak sidewalls." Everything from krawlers, to mtr's and even maxxis tires. The only consistencies that I have personally seen relating to popping sidewalls are air pressure and driving style.

In regards to the rocker, they are heavy because there is a lot of material in them. They have thick beads, thick sidewalls and a lot of rubber. These all contradict a "weak sidewall" statement. In my experience they are a tough tire. They grip rocks a lot better at single digit pressures than at 10+psi, but that is a gamble with any tire (in my opinion). I ran mine at 13 psi in the rocks on a 3700# buggy. In the snow (3 psi) I hit something buried in a ditch at speed. It bent a raceline wheel, but did not cut the tire. As for price, they were cheap when I bought mine. I got 5 42's for $1900 in 2008. Now they are on part with most big tires.

I would be curious as to which size and construction rocker you have experience with. The 39 is an abomination and out of the 3 friends that have run them, they all hated them. The 37 bias also runs small. I have personally had both the 42 and 44" and was happy with them. I have also wheeled with a set of 37" radial Rockers and thought they did well too. The 41.5 radial appeals to me because it is the largest radial (next to the 42" kevlar) that you can get.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
The weak side wall comment was honestly due to only two set of rockers, both bias 39.5s and 42s. Both guys had trouble with pin hole leaks in the sidewalls; the 39.5s on a first gen 4runner and the 42s on a suburban. They both fought with pitbull to get them warrantied and both ended up going to 39.5 and 42" bias iroks respectively. The suburban was a snow wheeling only rig and the 4Runner wheeled year round. Other then that I don't have any experience with them, but them being so heavy and expensive have also detoured me from buying them

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Got the geolandars out for the first time yesterday. Snow conditions were mixed and because the tires were new, I played with the pressures a bit. I started at 5 psi in the ruts and on the road in, then dropped to 3 psi once I was punching fresh tracks. Once we were climbing, I went to 2 psi and the tires flat do work. I may have had the lightest rig in the group (YotaAtieToo needs to weigh his) but I was moving around better than the two one ton jeeps on 42" iroks and 42" kevlar's. With the 37" kevlar's on our last trip, the 42's had a clear advantage over me. At 2 psi, I could go anywhere even up the hill side to get around a broken rig. I only managed to bury the jeep once, and a little shoveling is all that it took. The tires do not dig much going forward and consistently found a bite when I let it creep. In reverse the tires will dig, not sure if i'll try the fronts flipped at this point.

Breaking trail at 2 psi and running on the sidewall tread gave me a nearly 18" wide footprint.

This is a sight that I like to see when breaking trail, deep cracks in your tracks. This shows how well you are floating.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My Grooved and siped 40" Toyo MT's seem to work really well. I've been out twice and I'm really happy with them. They air down quicker than I expected also. 5psi and they really look good. 2.5-3 is where I've been running them. My truck is 5,000 lbs.

101 - 120 of 307 Posts