Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Beat me to it! Just watched that video and was on my way here to post it.

Amazon has 40" MG's for $450 shipped.... tempted to say the least, but don't miss all the road noise.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Yessir....... And you're slacking :flipoff2:

http://youtu.be/3QAiafdCaGc
Damn! I am slacking. interesting way he grooved them. must be for all the side hilling they do. we had a day/night like that about a month ago too, the snow was horrible and got worse as the day went on. thankfully I was one of the smart ones who turned around and I live far enough away from where we were, that I didn't have to run gas back up to them the next day (a Monday). It took my buddy almost all of Monday to reach them then most of Monday evening to turn around and follow their tracks back out

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
im going to get back after my sts's soon or buy something else mine are low on tread and lack the side hill traction that my buddys iroks do. i would like to find 3 more 42 iroks for 16.5s so i can run my h1s but im really leaning to 40 yokos because i can get them on my toyota easier. if anyone wants to get into some cheap sts in wa let me know so i can spend some more money

·
Registered
912 Posts
41.5 radial pitbull best snow tire hands down. Large for a 41 bags out amazing and stays super soft no matter what
Thread closed!^^^
Idk about that. The last snow wheeling trip I was on I passed 2 3rd gen toyota pickups with 41.5 pitbulls that were struggling gain any ground which surprised the hell out of me since there rigs were obviously far lighter than my heavy as hell 4runner I'm am/running grooved non sticky 43'' sx's at 2psi. They sucked in the snow horribly bad until I grooved 10 pounds off them

·
Registered
388 Posts
Idk about that. The last snow wheeling trip I was on I passed 2 3rd gen toyota pickups with 41.5 pitbulls that were struggling gain any ground which surprised the hell out of me since there rigs were obviously far lighter than my heavy as hell 4runner I'm am/running grooved non sticky 43'' sx's at 2psi. They sucked in the snow horribly bad until I grooved 10 pounds off them
I was being sarcastic. I wouldn't run Pitbulls if they where free!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like a keyboard snow wheeler. Thats like sayin iroks dont work in the snow. I dont wheel in the rocks or mud snow only, i have a yota on all yota running gear,syped and grooved 41.5 pitbulls , have not had a better snow tire the compound stays soft no matter temp they bag out amazing sidehill very well. My last tire was a 42 irok then before that was a 46 claw all same truck same running gear, have not had a better tire. Run 2lbs on a water pressure guage(more accurate) was the only rig to get past soup bowl on the con a few nights ago .

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you might be getting the bias 42 and the radial 41 crossed. I would not run the bias 42 either but the 41 radial amazing snowtire. You ask the real snow wheelers the ones who dedicate snow wheelin they will also agree on the radial pitbull

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have done a little snow wheeling myself. This is about as dedicated snow built as you can get. Maybe it wasn't a Radial PB that I was around but I have a hard time believing they are the "best" snow tire. Would be cool to have some kind of snow comp just to see.:smokin:

attachmentid=2159905&stc=1http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2159913&stc=1&d=1457277308&d=1457277308[/url]

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm running a set of bias pitbull rockers... Great tire, but like others said... the bias just don't work like the radials for the snow. Grooving required either way.

A few guy run the growlers up here any like them, any others have an opinion on them?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I thought my 42" bias rockers worked just as well as my 42" iroks, a friend with 44's work well also. Now, the 39" bias rockers suck.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
As of now planning on running my 42" BIAS IROK for snow :D
@Wilson -- I read a couple pages back the radial 41 iroks walked away from the 42 bias -- thoughts as to why? Was it they could run <PSI and maintain height? Or?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
@Todd W radial tires air down differently than bias tires. They maintain their contact patch at lower pressures than bias tires and seem to conform better at lower pressures.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
@Todd W radial tires air down differently than bias tires. They maintain their contact patch at lower pressures than bias tires and seem to conform better at lower pressures.
That makes sense.

I gogled for some images and this image:
http://my1970z28.com/pics/etc/radial-vs-bias.jpg

even states "stabilize the tread" in re: radial tires

Radial swampers were too damn stiff on the rocks, I hated the 'bounce' they gave compared to the BIAS SX I used to run, but going to some MTRs wasn't really noticeable... now back to IROKs for snow/rocks and maybe some MTRs for rocks in the future, well see what I can get :evil:

Speaking of which, just dropped to mid 30*s we be getting some fresh snow :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im in sacramento just an 1.5 hrs from the rubicon. That rig looks cool real heavy lookin lol. Like i said my junk is all toyota and stripped down no cage work no wonches ect as light as i could get it. I ran 46 claws for 2 winters than 42 irocs all snow conditions are different but what i noticed about the radial rockers is they stay soft no matter what the temp also bag out like no big tire i have seen , true story on nogjt and day dofgerence between the radial and bias rockers. There also very large tire like the radial mtr . In my personal exsperiance (snow wheeler) the radial rocker is one of if not the best snow tire out there.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Im in sacramento just an 1.5 hrs from the rubicon. That rig looks cool real heavy lookin lol. Like i said my junk is all toyota and stripped down no cage work no wonches ect as light as i could get it. I ran 46 claws for 2 winters than 42 irocs all snow conditions are different but what i noticed about the radial rockers is they stay soft no matter what the temp also bag out like no big tire i have seen , true story on nogjt and day dofgerence between the radial and bias rockers. There also very large tire like the radial mtr . In my personal exsperiance (snow wheeler) the radial rocker is one of if not the best snow tire out there.
I'll be the keyboard jokey and tell you, you're a fawkin tard :homer: Shrek's rig weighs 3600lbs with a 6.2L LS and was built for the SNOW. those are 42" mtr's on his rig... keep stroking your pitbull rocker pecker, there's a reason not a lot of people run pitbulls in the snow :shaking::shaking:

141 - 160 of 307 Posts