Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Ford guy but couldn't pass up this truck for the price. Only problem is it's 2wd. What's the best option for axles and a divorced T-case?

Sorry for newb question. Not a Ford guy.

·
P.B.A.
4,343 Posts
05+ superduty front 60. Search there’s a thread specifically about them. Divorced 205.

·
Sand Pounder
55 Posts
well, even not being a Ford guy I'm sure you understand the concept of 1/2 ton vs 1ton axles.

1/2 ton: hard to beat an old dana44 an 9 inch combo

1 ton: 05+super 60 which has already been covered, and for the rear either a sterling 10.25 or a corporate 14bolt.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah leaning 1-ton. Would be nice to just get the front and rear from a 1-ton truck and not have to change gears. But I'm thinking of 35's or possibly 38's so I should probably regear anyway since the 4.6 isn't really a powerhouse.

Also, when did Ford start boxing frames? Were the tenth gen 4x4s boxed? My frame is strictly c-channel, no boxed sections at all.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
This is a huge project, not sure the fact that the truck was a good deal is a good reason to do it? What's the end goal? Why not start with a 4x4, mild lift and 35's, just about any half ton can handle that.

If you want to SAS, Super Duty axles are a popular choice for this vehicle because IIRC the ABS / speed sensor stuff is plug and play. This is a big deal in a late model. You start messing with those sensors and sometimes the truck goes into limp mode and wont even drive right.

A thread worth reading:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/1581418-1999-f150-superduty-sas.html

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
well, even not being a Ford guy I'm sure you understand the concept of 1/2 ton vs 1ton axles.

1/2 ton: hard to beat an old dana44 an 9 inch combo

1 ton: 05+super 60 which has already been covered, and for the rear either a sterling 10.25 or a corporate 14bolt.
You'd want the Sterling 10.5 in the rear to match the '05+ metric bolt pattern. The 10.25 or 14B are the wrong lug pattern, and most likely drum brake.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
If I could do it over.... I would have found a set of late model axles with the 4.30 gears and factory E locker. It would have been perfect for what I do.

I can't complain with a $200 60/10.25 combo though after I sold the truck I took them from. But coil springs would have been sweet.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'd say if you can get a good deal on pair 05+ superduty is hard to beat but I wouldnt pass up a cheap pair of 99-04's if they were in good shape. 4.10-4.30 gears arent too hard to find if you shop around.

·
Sand Pounder
55 Posts
You'd want the Sterling 10.5 in the rear to match the '05+ metric bolt pattern. The 10.25 or 14B are the wrong lug pattern, and most likely drum brake.
You can have the unit bearings drilled out to accommodate the 8x6.5 pattern if you want to. The 14 bolt is (in my opinion) superior in strength to the sterling axles and easier to work on, so it's not unthinkable to mix and match. Just have to put in a little extra effort is all.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
You can have the unit bearings drilled out to accommodate the 8x6.5 pattern if you want to. The 14 bolt is (in my opinion) superior in strength to the sterling axles and easier to work on, so it's not unthinkable to mix and match. Just have to put in a little extra effort is all.
Well, why redrill when you don't have to.....especially when the 10.5 nets you disc brakes, better ground clearance than 14B, possibility of OEM e-locker, the fact that it's already paired with the '05+ front axle, better pinion clearance than 14B, factory 1410 yoke or flange, dirt cheap availability, and a growing aftermarket. The strength thing is kind of marginal in my opinion, and you shouldn't ever have to "work" on it after the gear ratio of choice is installed, so that bit is kind of moot as well. But to each their own. Definitely not unthinkable to mix and match, but I believe that the Sterling doesn't quite get the credit it deserves.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
14 bolt is a plow. Sterling has better ground clearance than a 14 bolt and a Dana 60. I've never witnessed anybody break a 10.25 or 10.5 for what it's worth. They'll handle a lot of abuse.

In order of ease to set up, easiest 14 bolt>Sterling>60, so I don't really see it as much of an issue at all.

·
Sand Pounder
55 Posts
Well, why redrill when you don't have to.....especially when the 10.5 nets you disc brakes, better ground clearance than 14B, possibility of OEM e-locker, the fact that it's already paired with the '05+ front axle, better pinion clearance than 14B, factory 1410 yoke or flange, dirt cheap availability, and a growing aftermarket. The strength thing is kind of marginal in my opinion, and you shouldn't ever have to "work" on it after the gear ratio of choice is installed, so that bit is kind of moot as well. But to each their own. Definitely not unthinkable to mix and match, but I believe that the Sterling doesn't quite get the credit it deserves.
14 bolt is a plow. Sterling has better ground clearance than a 14 bolt and a Dana 60. I've never witnessed anybody break a 10.25 or 10.5 for what it's worth. They'll handle a lot of abuse.

In order of ease to set up, easiest 14 bolt>Sterling>60, so I don't really see it as much of an issue at all.
14 bolts are definitely huge boat anchors, that's for damn certain. I really do respect the sterlings, and since you can get ox lockers for them, they seem to be a really good choice (though i've never run one so I can't say much for how stout they are). That's why I mentioned them in my original post right alongside the 14b. I personally actually wouldn't run a 14b in one of my own trucks, but I feel like the knowledge that it's possible to run whatever combo you want is good to have.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would have to agree with the 1ton option. I have an 04 150 with matching dana60/sterling 10.5 out of a super donkey. I have been daily driving said truck for over 8 months now. I do not regret doing the swap. But it is for sure lots of work. A welder and some fab skills go a long way though. I have a thread in the ford section on the build. That 1999 f150 sas thread is also a great place to look too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts