Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well...i'm looking to buy a batt isolator, so what my best option? i'll be running a 140-200 amp alternator and i'll be running, eventually, a winch a grip of lights, and a 2000 watt + or - stereo system. so what's the best isolator to buy?? i'm thinking either a red top and a yellow top, or two red tops??

also...if i buy an aux batt volt meter and some amp meters, do i plug them straight to the battery or what??

also..i did a search, that's where i got the ideas for the isolator instead of a dual batt system. my first option was going to be the MasterMinder unit from PAinless, but i figure that's a little overkill.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on guys, i know that there's gotta be at least one person on this list who's gone this route. let me know what you've done to run dual batts

·
Registered
853 Posts
I used to have the isolator that's nothing more than steering diodes from the alternator to the batteries. I didn't like the diode drop. I was in GI Joe's one day and saw a marine battery switch that has OFF, 1, 2, ALL settings. It's big, red and round. This is what I have in between my batteries and the alternator now. According to the specs with it, it should work alright as far as current capacity. I've only had it on for a couple of months, so I can't say how long it's going to last. Usually when you're switching high amounts of current, the switch contacts eventually wear out. I only operate the switch when everything's off. The good part was it cost $25.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts