Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the best brake M/C for 81 p'up w/stock front discs and 88 rear axle? Mine (stock 13/16" bore) is leaking down the front of the brake booster, so it's time to replace and I don't want to buy twice.

Currently plan to stay with toyota front axle running 35" to 36" tires, may do the vented front rotor swap when my stock non-vented rotors/calipers (one small and one large piston per side of caliper) wear out. No rear LSPV or proportioning valve of any kind at the moment and works good, but better brakes are always good. So should I get the 1" bore 89-93 v6 master, stock 81 replacement, or?

BTW, it's the original 81 MC and reservoir (cracked plastic) so I'll need one with a new reservoir too.

Please say why you recommend the particular master cylinder, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Buy the V6 version, or else see if you can adapt one from an FJ80 LC.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I don't know if the clearences are the same, I have an 85 and went with a 91 master and booster from the junk yard. I had to bent the lip a bit on the booster to get it to clear the steering shaft. becareful if you do that because that lip is also the seal, so don't get carried away.
I also did the vented disk upgrade and just love it. Just tap the brakes and they are there.
before the up grade, say slowing from 70mph or on a long down hill it would get to where I was standing on the brakes and starting to get nervous..

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
one thing to be aware of is that you cannot run a late booster in a 1st gen truck, without some mods. or maybe not at all.
i used my stock master and booster, i am running vented rotors up front, and stock brakes out back with no prop valve and it brakes nicelt now, 37" mickeys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts