Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dead pump. its an inline supplying fuel for my 22RE. I bought a Carter 22 months ago. Seems like i should have had better results. What I have is a puller. Once i get one, im also gonna install a puller to aid in the life of the new one.

My truck is a first gen with a carbed tank, and i dont really wanna chop my truck and run lines for the FI tank

I dont like Facet brand, and that Carter was loud and didnt last too long.

What brands you run?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i totally agree with using OEM parts. I have only seen one fail, and that was due to no gas in the tank after 3 years and the pump rusted up.
besides the crawler stuff on my truck its all stock.

but since i dont have a EFI tank, i cant use the OEM pump.

·
Registered
512 Posts
if you want to go from an in-tank pump to an inline pump i would look into some high performance ones sold at baxter. you need to be able to pump at very high psi. (i cant remember the psi off the top of my head)

I did this for my 22re in my 1980 till i decided to just weld a factory one into my gas tank. the other one worked well it was just too loud.

another easy option is to get a gas tank from an efi truck. they look like they would bolt up

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats funny, i have an 80, put the 22RE in there and got my part from baxters. its a carter p/n P5000. And it was crazy loud
spec is 44psi
the efi tank is longer than the 80's

·
Registered
215 Posts
Search for an "e2000" fuel pump. Its from something like an F350 or similar. 45psi easy, same as the OEM unit and its an inline pump. Its cheap too. There are a bunch on ebay for $40ish.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have asked this question numerous times and searched seems like everyone is running about 45 psi pumps but I read in my chilton that they are supposed to be around 30 psi. Correct me if I am wrong but won't that fuel pump make it run rich? I was planning on running a pump from baxters via discount and get a pressure regulator as well. If the larger pump doesnt hurt it I might go that way than. I guess in the end I was wondering if you guys were running regulators with those pumps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fsm says the pressure should be 44.5psi. The pressure regulator is built into the end of the fuel rail so you don't need to do anything unless you get such a huge pump GPH-wise that you overload the stock regulator. Gallons per hour aside, look for anything between 45 and 60 psi capable. I don't know what GPH the stock regulator can handle though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
if you can weld well. all you have to do is cut the pump out of an efi tank. i got mine from a celica. you cut the part off that the fuel pump attaches too. match up the sizes and weld onto the top of your tank. run some wires from your efi harness. and your solid. plus its oem

that pump sounds like the one i bought. i have it setup on my aux tank now

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have asked this question numerous times and searched seems like everyone is running about 45 psi pumps but I read in my chilton that they are supposed to be around 30 psi. Correct me if I am wrong but won't that fuel pump make it run rich? I was planning on running a pump from baxters via discount and get a pressure regulator as well. If the larger pump doesnt hurt it I might go that way than. I guess in the end I was wondering if you guys were running regulators with those pumps.

those chiltons are only good for makin yer dinner table level. the FSM specifies 44 psi.
im gonna get a regulator from baxters. i installed a fuel pressure gauge already.
while mine used to run around 60psi, I did sniff it out and it was not running rich.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you can weld well. all you have to do is cut the pump out of an efi tank. i got mine from a celica. you cut the part off that the fuel pump attaches too. match up the sizes and weld onto the top of your tank. run some wires from your efi harness. and your solid. plus its oem

that pump sounds like the one i bought. i have it setup on my aux tank now
it has been suggested to me to do this now a few times. my buddy called up and said he would donate a tank with a pump, so i suppose thats what i will do. And the OE stuff is always better than aftermarket. except for the push pull steering shit on first gens, i hate that.

on your aux tank, i suggest you run a puller pump behind it, as it seems my problem im currently having is due to the lack of one. But maybe it wouldnt have mattered.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fsm says the pressure should be 44.5psi. The pressure regulator is built into the end of the fuel rail so you don't need to do anything unless you get such a huge pump GPH-wise that you overload the stock regulator. Gallons per hour aside, look for anything between 45 and 60 psi capable. I don't know what GPH the stock regulator can handle though.

I dont know what the GPH is on what i was running, but early tests when i first installed it 22 months ago had no rich results, with the sniffer.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
There are later model efi tanks that are the exact same stamping as a first gen truck. They bolt right in and you get the extra wire for the low fuel light.

One thing I would never go aftermarket or patch together is a fuel pump.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts