Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your opinion. What is the best chip for a 7.3. I am not looking for a ton more HP. I am more interested in fuel economy. Has anyone use the Granatelli milage master? Just checking before I drop some cash on something.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
travis, get the dp tuner, I have it on mine and it is simply amazing!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Whatever you do stay away from the programmers.

You'll get more bang for your buck with a good chip.

In general for the 7.3 there are two tuners that are constantly debated

DP Tuner - Jody Tipton
Total Diesel Performance - Tony Wildman

The preferences tend to follow Jody for superduty trucks with split shot injectors and for economy chips. Tony tends to be the preferred programmer for the OBS trucks (94-97) with single shot injectors.

Either one you'll be happy with.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,908 Posts
travis, get the dp tuner, I have it on mine and it is simply amazing!
xeleventy billion

I had my computer reprogrammed 3 years and 80,000 miles ago with just the 80 HP econo

I think it cost me 50 bucks? Maybe 75?

It has been a completely different truck. better mileage, awesome power, better throttle modulation.

I tow a 8000 lb trailer a fair amount with absolutely no problems, and a 14,000 lb goose occasionally. The 80 HP econo isnt the best tune for the goose but I still manage 9.5-11.5 mpg depending on terrain.

You ABSOLUTELY need a pyro, because the temps will climb for me with the goose. As long as you drive it like it is a big, heavy truck, you will be fine.

If you pick the wrong gear and floor it to go up a hill, you will raise the temp quick.

This is just because I tow heavy on the 80 HP econo tune. Of course, he sells flip chips and programmers, but I am cheap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jody at dp-tuner.com call him up tell him what you're looking for and he will set you up i think its 200 for the base chip then each program and the switch is 45 and you can get up to 16. if your close i'd say get your truck live tuned if possible.

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like everyone is in agreement for dp. I'll be calling them when they get back to the shop.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I have a DP 4 position chip on my 96 F350 and haven't had any problems. 4" exhaust with the 3" downpipe to a magnaflow muffler, no cat. I tow on the 40 hp #2 setting, and it gives me enough to run 10% grades uphill with a 4k slide-in and 7k trailer at 55-60 mph. Good enough for what I need it to do. Tows my heavy boat fine too.

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got my DP Tuner in yesterday. I was able to install it tonight. So far I'm pretty impressed. I did the 80hp Tow, Decel, and 80hp Ecno. Truck seems to shift better, idle better and has better throttle response. Thanks to all those that recommended DP.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Tony Wildman
TW has a great reputation as well on the 7.3 boards; most agree it is a tossup between the two, though Tony will reburn a chip for free.

I love my DP-Tuner, especially with the gauge-mount controller. That and a Aerotech Scangauge give me all the info and control I need in an unobtrusive 2-gauge pillar pod.

I went with the 80-Economy/Decel/60-Tow combination, and love the driveability improvements most of all. I am having trouble with EGT's passing the 1250ºF mark too easily on full-throttle in the 80E setting, and even in the 60T setting in some circumstances, but I'm rarely over 1/4-throttle most of the time, so I have to sort it all out.

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PC830, do you mean that is a good or bad way? Just wondering. I can see how the urge to play comes into effect now. I'm hoping my tank of fuel will last longer now with the econo setting.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
I am having trouble with EGT's passing the 1250ºF mark too easily on full-throttle in the 80E setting, and even in the 60T setting in some circumstances, but I'm rarely over 1/4-throttle most of the time, so I have to sort it all out.
what rpm? how much boost? towing or empty? Stock tires? Gears? IMO 80E is a very lazy program (shifting wise) and tries to lug the motor too much... resulting in higher egt's more often than not.

Several very common culprits could be:
1. mis-adjusted/bad waste gate controller
2. Boost leaks
3. Leaky up-pipes

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
what rpm? how much boost? towing or empty? Stock tires? Gears? IMO 80E is a very lazy program (shifting wise) and tries to lug the motor too much... resulting in higher egt's more often than not.

Several very common culprits could be:
1. mis-adjusted/bad waste gate controller
2. Boost leaks
3. Leaky up-pipes
High rpm/high boost right off the line at wide-open throttle.

I cleaned and retightened the intercooler boots (they were pretty clean and tight to begin with), and I see no soot on the up-pipe connections. I may try disconnecting the wastegate to see if that makes things better, but I may have to build a boost-leak detector to get to the bottom of this.

I do know what you mean about the 80E program "short-shifting"; I kind of like that, especially with the BTS valvebody- that torque just gets that truck moving like it's been hitched to a passing freight-train.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
It takes my truck awhile to hit 1200 unloaded... here's a video of mine doing 0-100mph. Left guage is the pyro, 12 o'clock on the gauge is 900*. 2nd gauge over is boost and hit's 30psi on the run. That's in dp 120 race, turbonetics ball bearing turbo, full transgo tugger kit (I now have a fully built trans), stock injectors and then the usual intake, exhaust, boost fooler yada yada yada.

Do the leak tester and see... I found a few small leaks when I did that. What's the max boost you have seen? Are you setting off the SES light?

Click here to see Video

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It takes my truck awhile to hit 1200 unloaded... here's a video of mine doing 0-100mph. Left guage is the pyro, 12 o'clock on the gauge is 900*. 2nd gauge over is boost and hit's 30psi on the run. That's in dp 120 race, turbonetics ball bearing turbo, full transgo tugger kit (I now have a fully built trans), stock injectors and then the usual intake, exhaust, boost fooler yada yada yada.

Do the leak tester and see... I found a few small leaks when I did that. What's the max boost you have seen? Are you setting off the SES light?

Click here to see Video

I'm seeing about 21psi when I'm passing 1250ºF; whether it would go higher, I have no idea, as I back off when I pass 1250ºF (I have a Scangauge with the annunciator feature that lights up when I pass that figure, so as soon as I see the light blink red, I get off the pedal).

I have the "no-codes" version of Jody's tunes, so no SES light.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts